What is this render?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Removed shot plaster which was sand/cement. Below it is a piece of wall which was always having issues - paint was always coming off so I thought to remove some of that at the same time and re do with sand cement and finish. However unlike most of the other walls in the house this has a mass of this pink stuff on it. Could this be the cause of the constant lack of paint adhearance? What is it should I just take it off to sand cement the lot? It has soft consistency.
9B6DA805-6B42-4ECF-A14D-BCE0F83EAA7B.jpeg

Attachments

• 34F9CFC1-F54E-4AA2-9777-D7D1F16E3273.png
    34F9CFC1-F54E-4AA2-9777-D7D1F16E3273.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 190
Sponsored Links
Wall is damp the plaster is rotten (become hygroscopic) needs stripping off and the source of the damp found.
Might be failed DPC, ground level too high outside or a leaking pipe outside.

May be the DPC has been done badly and the lower half re-plastered before.

Thanks, yes it historically had the injected ‘damp proof course’ outside (Previous owner did it) which I know now is just a big scam. Had a plasterer deal with some other bits of damp 10 years ago, all caused by shot pointing outside. He used sand/cement and finishing plaster and not had any problems with those bits since. Outside there was some dodgy pointing which should be sorted now so think it’s a case they used the pink stuff rather than go the trad rendering root when they ‘fixed’ it with dpc last time. Oh well off it will come then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back