what is this sticking out of wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved house and now realised I've bought a heath robinson abode. Anyway I'm intrigued as there is a pipe sticking out the kitchen wall. It's damp and has a screw sticking in it. There used to be an American fridge in this position. Am I stuck with this pipe? What was its function and why was there only one? Having had a good look at the electrics I'm worried that this represents some sort of bodge by a lazy builder or an anomaly created by a hapless halfwit. All comments which could assist me in determining what to do would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome braincurdle :D :D :D

you need a full structural survey to get any use from a survey as home buyers report will only give the the lender the information to there advantage as they are the person commissioning the survey they need not give you any useful information

the house can be in a bad state off repair as long as it is water tight and worth what they are lending they need not tell you

none of us can see your pipe.

Post a photo

Include something to show scale, also a wide shot to show where it is in the room.

Need a picture of the pipe,
But guesswork, its possible its a cold water pipe some American Freezers have Ice Making Facilities and need to be plumbed into a water supply.

Sponsored Links
obviously it must be for ice maker for your fridge ad cold water dispenser, thats what many American fridges need, and that pipe may not have been capped properly.

or it may very well be a Glory hole as suggested above! :D :D

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my request to understand a pipe sticking out the kitchen wall. There was definitely a fridge in front of it when I visited. It has a screw stuck in the middle of it, this reminds me of one you get on the boiler to increase the water pressure. To be frank it looks ugly sitting there on the wall should I be able to trace it back to its beginnings or do I have to hack the wall apart?

How do you expect anyone to even imagine what pipe it is with your poor description and lack of pic?

The lazy builders and hapless halfwits are still waiting for a photo from the enlightened one.

Mind you, I've got a bit of wire that I have no idea of its function. God knows what the idiotic, useless electrician was thinking when he installed it, the bodger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back