What is this tiny drain pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing a bit of digging close to the house (built in 1910) ready for building some patio steps to the back door and came across a small diameter open clay pipe in the ground. The internal diameter is about 2.5 inches. I'm not sure where it runs and assume it is no longer functional as there is nothing going in to it.

I was wondering what this would have been used for originally - does anyone have any idea? It is a foot or so away from the house walls, it is close to what was the old scullery but it seems an odd location. It is right by two windows so I can't see a sink waste pipe ever going out near that area, and no evidence of a downpipe from guttering every going hear it.

Attachments

• 20220520_171735.jpg
    20220520_171735.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
Given the size, I’d say rain water.

Possibly, but no indication of any downpipe having been present at any point near it, and it would be an odd place to take rain from guttering at that location (as well as being over a foot away from any wall)

Sponsored Links
If you are in clay, land drains are commonplace in historic sites i.e. developed old farm dwelling etc. Typically they would be chunky terracotta type clay and just butted together. Each about a foot long and about 3"(internal) diameter.

Possibly, but no indication of any downpipe having been present at any point near it, and it would be an odd place to take rain from guttering at that location (as well as being over a foot away from any wall)
Can you post a photo from further back? So we get a better idea, it might be as others have suggested, a land drain,

Usually full of mud as well when you dig them out.
Oddly, the ones I came across in heavy clay amid one of our extension footings, were actually running and flooded the trench. I was impressed. We cobbled together a fix and (hopefully) they continue to flow.

Can you post a photo from further back? So we get a better idea, it might be as others have suggested, a land drain,
Attached a photo, as you can see the drain is over a foot from either wall.

Poured some water down it, a big bogged up with mud at that entry point but did see some water flowing in the inspection chamber so it is connected up to the main drain. Guess that means it must have been either for rainwater or perhaps sink waste? Maybe it was installed at some point when the house was built but just never used.

Checked nothing else is flowing through it from other sources, going to seal it up and also smash out some of the underground section as it is running right where I am putting some small footings for my backdoor steps

Attachments

• 20220521_182945.jpg
    20220521_182945.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I would get some red food colouring and double check with coloured water that that pipe definitely leads to your sewer.

Or stick your hooter or earole by it.
Definitely leads to sewer...it is only 2 meters from my inspection chamber, so can see the water start flowing as soon as I pour it down the pipe. No other properties going through my inspection chamber. Removed the pipe and closed it out now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back