What is this type of Loft conversion

13 Aug 2012
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have seen a couple loft conversions which is like a dormer but the rear wall of the house is flush with the dormer. Also the side is not a gable but it is also flush with the dormer. Not sure if that makes sense but this kind appeals to me more than a normal dormer as it appears you may get more room. Is this assumption correct?
Sponsored Links
To be permitted development, the dormer front should be set back a little from the eaves, so that the gutter runs continuously across.

At the side, you can build the wall of the house up so that it becomes the side of the dormer. If the roof at the side slopes inwards (ie a 'hipped' roof) it becomes a hip-to-gable conversion, and that is now normally allowed under permitted development.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links