What is this vent for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone seen one of these before? See images below.

I've recently bought this ground floor flat, ex-council, early 70's. The vent is about 800mm long, on an internal wall, nothing on the other side of the wall. There is a normal vent to the outside world in the other corner of the room. I think it may have had underfloor heating at some point.
Behind the vent are some bricks, maybe they have been used to fill in a hole, there is no draft apparent.

Looks like I could take it out and adjust the skirting board that currently runs above the vent.

Sponsored Links
ground floor? concrete floor? Is (was) there a fire or gas-fire in the room?

faint chance it might once have been for warm-air heating, the older residents will know.

ground floor? concrete floor? Is (was) there a fire or gas-fire in the room?

faint chance it might once have been for warm-air heating, the older residents will know.

Ha ha Thanks for that johnD :LOL:

Does look like the vents we used to have in our council flat for warm air heating. There were main vents in the corner of each room high up by the ceiling and also slim vents at floor level under the gas boiler. Is there a cupboard above the vent which may have housed a boiler at some time?

Sponsored Links
It's ground floor, concrete. There is no sign of previous cupboards or boilers and no mains gas in the building.

Warm-air heating sounds like a possibility. Have got storage rads and electric fire now. Will have to get friendly with some of the other residents, see what they've got!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back