Moving kitchen hood outside extractor vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Firstly can I say that so far my experience of this forum has been brilliant, with loads of really helpful people giving great advice. For that I am thankful!

Ok, my next project is building my conservatory. I have built the base, walls, etc... and now I realise that I need to move my kitchen hood external extractor fan.

On the inside, above the hood, we have, what I can only describe as a small chimney style box going upwards (see pic 1 below)

and on the outside, we have the hole/vent (see pic 2 below)

So, my builder and friends have said that I should remove the plastic on the vent on the outside, remove some bricks (happy to do this) and then purchase some flexible pipe and route the vent about 2 bricks to the left. Obviously with installing new bricks and drilling a new hole.

My question is, when I remove the brown vent on the outside wall, isnt there a straight (hard plastic) tube connecting from the internal vent there? How can I re-route this to the left (by 3 bricks) if the space between the external wall and internal wall is small? Or maybe I am missing something.

Any advice, views, much appreciated!

Doobs.

Sponsored Links
So are you saying theres no connecting pipe as the extraction duct enters the inner wall, i.e the hood is extracting into the cavity? :eek:
You'll have to trace the duct route within the ceiling void, I fancy.....flexible ducting will be fine for this, and hiring a core drill of approx 115mm diameter will make simple work of the new position.
Presumably the new conservatory will cover the existing outlet position.
John :)

Simple. Remove the plastic tube that goes straight through the wall, and replace this with a flexible one. You could drill the new hole a couple of bricks along, right through the wall at the same level?? , then connect the ducting up on the inside of the building.
Please Note !!
I'd be tempted to have a look behind your extractor in the kitchen to see what level the hole goes through the wall at first as it may well be slightly lower than the height of your wall units. Plan it out carefully and the new flexi duct can lie across the top of the wall units, before going through to the outside. ;) ;)

Whilst planning it out, check there are no electric wires/water pipes etc where the new hole is going through the wall.

Sponsored Links
What is to the right of the vent? side wall? you could run vent thru ceiling void and exit there well away from conservatory, you don't want a vent close to conservatory roof or window making it run will condensation and grease.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back