Oven Hood/Extractor venting to outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,
I am looking at purchasing a property. Built in the mid 70's, it was it was bought by a guy two years ago interested in doing places up and selling them on. He has fitted it out well, the kitchen is all nice and new with a new oven hood, but I am puzzled as to why the oven hood does not vent outside.

The kitchen has the boiler venting out the front of the house, the cooker hood would be on the back right wall and above, the bathroom with the standard bathroom vent above. There is plenty of space.

It looked as though the hood went up into the floor space between the kitchen and bathroom, but no. Does anyone have any ideas on cost to vent this to the outside? The kitchen is quite small and has 0 ventilation which is a concern for me.

4_zpshdomke7q.png

Photo%2021-12-2016%2015%2000%2043_zpsbunmgszb.jpg

7_zpskpi9wsfd.png

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the hood is of the carbon filter type and doesnt use an external vent
See if you can find the make/model and google it to confirm

He took the easy option, you could take the vent up thru the floor then out to the external wall if the joist run the right direction or box in above the units to hide a vent across the top of the cup'ds to outside.

Its on an external wall?
Don't know about the cost but would be an easy task, could go straight outside behind the chimney.

As stated above check it actually needs one first.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the hood is of the carbon filter type and doesnt use an external vent
See if you can find the make/model and google it to confirm
It could well be. Though strange that the stainless steel runs all the way to the top of the ceiling. I will arrange a second viewing and see if I can get a model number of something to check with.

He took the easy option, you could take the vent up thru the floor then out to the external wall if the joist run the right direction or box in above the units to hide a vent across the top of the cup'ds to outside.
Going into floorspace may be a pest as the bathroom is above and it has tiles laid. I think your second suggestion of running above cupboards would be better. Do you think this would be a costly job to get someone in to do?

Its on an external wall?
Don't know about the cost but would be an easy task, could go straight outside behind the chimney.

As stated above check it actually needs one first.
Will do. I am just a little concerned that there is no ventilation to outside in this fairly small kitchen. I think it would quite quickly fill with fumes and condensation without something. Re circulation can't be that good can it?

I have a kitchen without an extractor (well I say without, the council put one in but not above the cooker so don't do jack) and when cooking on high heats I do have to open the door or a window.

He has (presumably) chosen to use a filter based hood

Not sure if all hoods are dual function ( if it is ask about whether he has the ventilation filters)

It should be simple to core drill through the gable end behind the rising vent cover and exit there.
Presumably he fitted the cover because they look messy if you don't

As above - the false SS chimneys are common for deco purposes only.
OP, check the manual and see if you have an option to vent out the back or the top of the appliance Either way will work, as above, by core drilling out.
Make sure that you have a first class vent terminal.

FWIW: the extractor in the bathroom looks to be a cheap and weak meanie - replace it. Always use the most powerful ext's you can - pay the little extra.

It could well be. Though strange that the stainless steel runs all the way to the top of the ceiling. I will arrange a second viewing and see if I can get a model number of something to check with.

its a false chimney If it stopped halfway up the wall it would look a bodge job.
If the fan is on an outside wall it is easy enough to knock a hole through the wall and fit ducting cost about £25. leave chimney going up to the ceiling.

V0157_713006_00

AAMOI: the concertina plastic venting shown in the pic above is dangerous to use - it burns like petrol fumes never use anything but SS flex or best of all is some kind of hard wall venting.

Same goes for Dryer ducting - SS and hardwall metal.

At a guess I would say that the Fan Motor is encased in Plastic, the underneath panel of the hood is plastic.

There are height restrictions for the height of a fan hood above cookers, going by the photo the fan hood appears to comply

Took a plastic one out , was riddled with holes due to heat damage, I always use ali flxie hose above heat.

Alu is better but it too will burn esp in a Dryer duct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back