Cooker Hood venting. . . .into loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to install a cooker hood, and I am looking for some advice.

I live in a bungalow, and its is not possible without great difficulty to vent to an outside wall. Obviously the celing above the kitchen is the loft.

Does anybody know if it is OK to ventilate the extracted air directly into the loft space????? Or is this a big no-no due to the fact that you are. putting moist air into loft therefore causing roof damage?

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
Can you not vent from the loft space to the outside?

Really Its a just lack of skill.... I can fit the hood no problem, but I don't want to destroy the housewall or remove roofing tiles trying to fit a vent to the outside.
The thought of making a hole through a wall from inside to out I think is a little bit beyond me.

Aquaman said:
The thought of making a hole through a wall from inside to out I think is a little bit beyond me.

You will be amazed at how easy it is. You have used an electric drill to make a round hole, yes? If you go to your friendly local tool hire merchant they will hire you a biggish tool with a "core drill" thats shaped like a baked-bean tin with teeth, that will drill a faultless round hole an exact fit for the plastic tube in your vent kit. It will munch effortlessly through brick.

Once you've got it you'll find yourself drilling such holes for your bathroom, cooker extractor, tumble drier hose, catflap etc because it's so easy.

If your bathroom has no external walls you can drill through a wall in the loft and run trunking to take the steam from the bathroom.

You'll need a firm pair of steps as you'll want to hold it at shoulder height.

Sponsored Links
Yep JohnD your right, I'm just being a chicken, just didn't fancy drilling a big hole in my lovely house! But I suppose venting damp air into a loft space would do more damage...would'nt it?

yes dont vent into the loft!..... for a start after you cooked fish the whoel place would stink of fish!.. and the moist air woudl rot the beams... core drill, do it properly.

you would also get all the oil and fat thats suspended in the steam and air sticking to all the surfaces and causing as said above the smell and also a fire hazzard

Thanks everybody...your all talking common sense,I was being lazy.......time to get the core drill me thinks

Aquaman said:
Thanks everybody...your all talking common sense,I was being lazy.......time to get the core drill me thinks

be carefull of any hidden pipes or cables / good luck. r.r.

If you've not drilled your hole yet, why not get carbon filters to fit into your hood, which means you don't have to vent it outside? I think most modern hoods come with the option of both. I think they're about £20 each, and you can probably find them on ebay. I expect it's not as efficient as venting to the outside, but let's face it, we buy these hoods for the look more than their ability to vent, wouldn't you say? I've got one and it seems fine. ;)

Mads said:
If you've not drilled your hole yet, why not get carbon filters to fit into your hood, which means you don't have to vent it outside? I think most modern hoods come with the option of both. I think they're about £20 each, and you can probably find them on ebay. I expect it's not as efficient as venting to the outside, but let's face it, we buy these hoods for the look more than their ability to vent, wouldn't you say? I've got one and it seems fine. ;)

they won't filter out the steam and moisture, and are nowhere near as good, imo, at reducing the cooking smells. As they don't create any suction they don't draw clean air into the kitchen.

you can also buy tile vent terminals, cost about 30-50 quid, and they have a 100mm round spigot with which to attach the vent hose to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back