What is this wall constructed of?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're in a Victorian detached house and this wall is in what we think was the original kitchen. It's suffering from salts/damp/paint peeling which we think is being fed by a quarry tile floor covered by a carpet which we'll get to but first we need to remove the gypsum plaster. On taking some of it off we've found a wall that looks like this. Any ideas on what it is??

Thank you.

Attachments

• PXL_20201201_171442020.jpg
    PXL_20201201_171442020.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 159
Sponsored Links
Is any part of the "Old Kitchen" below ground?

Have you tried to see what the material is made from?? A form of "Concrete" perhaps??

Look as if there are some sort of jointing material between the different coloured [Beams???]

Ken.

No it's at ground level. House is slightly higher of what I'd say is traditional build, suspended floor, air vents, brick inner wall, slate external wall. This part of the house just seems odd and it's rendered so not easy to see from the other side. It's original to the house and was built at the same time (1892) but the concrete look has flummoxed us!

Can I suggest you take a cold chisel [carefully] to a wee bit on each of the different colours of this wall material, hopefully you will get a better feel for what the material is made from?

First impressions suggest horizontal beams built up with some sort of cement between. Has the appearance of being [almost] industrial?? Railways spring to mind??

Ken.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest it is a concrete.

Portland cement was invented in the 1820s.

Concrete was around before then.

70 years would have given its use a chance to catch on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back