What is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into our house a few months back (built in the 80's), I'm now trying to sort the garden out.

This morning I removed a small rockery and found this;

It's got stuff in it, but couldn't begin to explain what. It's not soil, it was soft when I poked it with a spade, strangely there is no smell.

Can anyone tell me what is is please?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Would it be your septic tank, or are you on town/city sewerage?

Any pipes in or out?

We are on mains sewerage. If there're any pipes in, they are well below ground.

Sponsored Links
Either a septic tank or a sump that has been dealing with rain water at some time.....it's probably just full of soil and mulch now.
It's unusual for properties to start with a septic tank and then switch to mains drains....at least it is up here!
John :)

Almost all of the houses in my area moved from septic tanks to mains drainage 20 years ago. Hence I have some very large concrete tanks at the bottom of my garden. After 20 years there is no smell. Have a look at the deeds and other documents you got when you bought your house. The septic tank is on my deeds, and the main sewer is on another document. My tanks were mostly filled in with flints and stones.

A small child could get into that access hole so cementing a grill over it might be an option since filling with sand or gravel may displace the contents onto your garden - yuk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back