What is this??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One side of the chimney breast in our lounge is a boxed in section. I wanted to get rid but it seems there’s a lead pipe running down it. What could this be? Any ideas is much appreciated as I won’t touch it now, but I originally wanted to knock that out thinking it was just for electrics.
fe5e8x1.jpg

UsajQX7.jpg

Sponsored Links
You need to advise what's on each end of it, including the "T"
The "T" looks like a drain valve which might suggest the pipe is part of a previous gravity hot-water system running from a coal-fired back boiler to a storage cistern.

You also appear to have a botched CPC connection as seen on the extreme left of the second photograph

Never known lead used for Gravity Primaries, I's say either water supply, or given the location, gas. Possibly had a gas poker or something originally, which would have been fed by a rubber hose pushed onto that ferrule.

Never known lead used for Gravity Primaries,

My parents in law's house was all lead including the back boiler to cylinder. Also it still had the lead pipes for gas lights but mother in law had the gas removed when they bought the house because "gas is dangerous" ( coal mining area )

Sponsored Links
The cream bit looks like a drain cock but cannot see the operating spindle (may be the other side) I would say old heating system myself. Gas fitters usually did not use wiped joints unless they were working on water, just a cup and blown joint as a rule.
Just a remote chance it is a rising water main.

Thankyou for the answers. It’s looking like this could be something I could possibly cut off and get out then, which is great news as I’d love to get that boxing out to make it even.

Could you zoom it out a little and give us a better view of the whole thing?

It's a bit like one of those "what's under the microscope" pics

So I took the floor boards out above, and it’s Two lead pipes that been cut off half way across the room. So it is dead. Glad of that. So it can be ripped out! I’ll be careful of any excess crap in it before I do though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back