what is wrong with combi boilers ?

Well I've repaired a lot more that I didn't fit than that I did, but the failure rate on new ones has been high. Most of the Vaillants diverters of course, though they seem after the design gets changed, and quite a lot of fans, pumps, leaks, cracked pcb's.
Quite a number of problems to do with being pressurised, which tends to be combis of course. Diverters generally are more troublesome and more expensive (like pumps) to fix than a 2 port valve would be. Problems with dirt in systems start with much cleaner water than conventional systems would be fine with.

Cheap construction lets a lot of combis down - (eg Halstead fronts!). With combis costing about the same as a much simpler conventional boiler we shouldn't be surprised.

Sponsored Links
I always use the worcester open vent kit to avoid pressurising old systems, I only use the sealed system on new installations.

Sorry swelec, I was generalising as to how the public are stupid when it comes to the good old brithish salesman.

There was a guy on the forum with three grown up daughters, plus him and the misses, Two bathrooms, unility, kitchen and a cloacks.

Guess what they tried to sell him, fortunately he had the sence to ask first.

Combi is great for a one bed flat or an old lady with too much money.

Like I said come back in 6 months and tell us how good it's been.

ChrisR said:
Cheap construction lets a lot of combis down - (eg Halstead fronts!). With combis costing about the same as a much simpler conventional boiler we shouldn't be surprised.

I think I am beginning to understand now

I'm going to whisper this ( please don't take the mickey ) . The combi I had fitted was an Ideal Mini C28

Looked on the BHL website an found it on sale for £405.60 + vat

An equivalent ?? heat only boiler Ideal model SE12RS was £435.42 + vat

Any Idiot can work out that with all the extra gubbins crammed into a combi, they must use very very cheap and nasty components

:D :D :D :D

Thanks to all for your input,

Doitall - no problems

I've seen worse insults traded on forums

:D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Ideal Mini is really a pile of italian shiitte called Biasi with an Ideal badge on it, expect a new gas valve in 18 months at around £200.00 fitted.

so now i have a brand new system, would it be a good idea to get insurance off those nice people at BG

do a search on the net some schemes are better than others domestic and general do one so do others all parts plus labour as long as the boiler is serviced yearly some cover the whole sys

This is all a very good read...I am in a similiar situation.

I live in a 3-bed..2 kids, the missus and me. Bathroom (Bath and shower) and a downstairs shower room.

Pretty much everyone who has been round the house to quote, as said the Combi is the best option. Easier to maintain, manage, etc. Reading through these forums, it seems that the Worcester Bosch boilers are good. Does anyone have any experience or could tell me whether the higher end boilers (35CDi II) would be suitable.

Also possibility of megaflow....does any know what the annual servicing costs on these things are ? and is it covered on the annual BG service ?

WKayani said:
This is all a very good read...I am in a similiar situation.

I live in a 3-bed..2 kids, the missus and me. Bathroom (Bath and shower) and a downstairs shower room.

Pretty much everyone who has been round the house to quote, as said the Combi is the best option. Easier to maintain, manage, etc. Reading through these forums, it seems that the Worcester Bosch boilers are good. Does anyone have any experience or could tell me whether the higher end boilers (35CDi II) would be suitable.

Also possibility of megaflow....does any know what the annual servicing costs on these things are ? and is it covered on the annual BG service ?

Trust me you don't want a Combi.

Megaflow wants an annual checkup 5min job if onsite

COnsider putting an electric shower in downstairs of you do go for a combi, so you stay clean if the combi needs therapy.

ChrisR is right, have an electric shower as backup.

Lets not forget that with all the regulations now that all heating systems are full off extra controls, all modern boilers of any description have a load of crap pcb's pressure switches fans thermistors condensing etc etc and have a bigger chance of breakdown than ever, just add on your 3port or 2x2 port valves cylinde stat and there is no difference as far as I can see, your screwed whatever you buy.

Ok, Combi Boilers are good. Very Good..... When compared to other things such as your van/truck which has to be serviced every 4500-6000 miles (L200). My BIASI has lasted three years with no servicing what so ever and has only recently required a new divertor diaphram (£3.20). Just try and get that running cost from a Ford,Nissan or Iveco in three years. The trouble is with combi's is that plumbers think they can charge what they want to fix them making you feel that they are 'unreliable' due to the cost. Take my Biasi for example, I got 3 quotes to fix the no hot water problem... ALL three plumbers said "Biasi, Difficult to get the parts" (so expensive), one would not fix it, the other two said it would be expensive as my boiler was rubbish (or words to that effect). So I fixed it at a cost of £3.20 in about one hour, bearing in mind that I have never worked on a boiler before and was on a steep learning curve I think i did quite well and saved myself over £150 Quid.
* Plumbers are a thiefs and dont believe a word of what they say.
Go out and get a combi, yes you will at some point have a problem with the boiler but go to a plumbers centre and buy the parts your self, then if you can fix it your self, dont waste your time and money on so called 'corgi' plumbers as they will take your eyes out for nothing and do a crap job (the last time I got a 'proper plumber' to fit my bath the waste came loose and wrecked my kitchen).
As my boiler example, My cost at...say...£30/hour was £3.20 for parts and no more than £30 for less than one hour fitting, so £33.20+VAT please from me. Ask a plumber (like I asked three) and expect £185, £162+VAT, and £Wont Touch It.
Rip Off Britain. Ass holes the lot and dont deny it.

that aint worthy of a reply
but i'm bored so i will
try making a living in this game mate with all the dog's regs and now that half soaked git prescott is in on the act
pleeeeeeeeeeese

eek.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back