What is wrong with this plant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Does anyone know what this plant is, and more importantly what is attacking it. It doesn't look very well to me.
Is there a cure or is it time to dig it out?

Attachments

• 20180526_180838.jpg
    20180526_180838.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 241
Sponsored Links
Looks a bit like a bay, but it’s hard to tell from one photo.

Is anything else also being eaten?

I've added a couple more pictures.
Nothing looks as bad but did find this other plant, just presumed this was normal. ( last pic)

Attachments

• 20180526_183642.jpg
    20180526_183642.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 171
  • 20180526_183655.jpg
    20180526_183655.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 20180526_183708.jpg
    20180526_183708.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 214
Yes I think it is a bay, or possibly some other sort of laurel. Something is eating the leaves, obviously. You could probably find them if you looked at the right time.

I’d not suggest insecticide as that would also kill off everything else in the vicinity (bees, butterflies etc.). Possibly cut back the most damaged bits and then try to ignore it,

Sponsored Links
Thanks. My concern is that the bugs/disease would spread.
I didn't want to dig it out so will cut it back, I'm not sure there will be much left of it though.

It looks typical of the vine weevil. Those, if you can, are best to keep under control. If you go out at night with a torch, you may well see them. Little black bugs. They drop on the soil making them harder to see, but at night you should see them munching on the leaves.
I think best control is systemic weed killer. If memory serves me right, vine weevils lay eggs at the base of the plant and then the eggs hatch, the maggots feed on the roots of the plant, and if enough are laid or over time, the plant will die.

They will start to explore the rest of your garden. I had them on one plant but ended up with them on my rose bushes so decide to act and sort them out. Takes time but seems to work. Oh, the only thing is you can't grow anything edible where you use the systemic weed killer.

Thanks all for the help. I've only really started taking an interest in the garden (read, any garden) so any advice is great.

I would rather not use any chemicals but will try to find some systemic weed killer that is bee safe, in a hope that the bug doesn't move to other plants.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help.

It certainly looks like a bay to me. I spray mine when I do the roses. Spray it on a dry evening and it will be safe before the bees wake up in the morning.

Yours is very heavily infestsd. Most of those leaves will fall off and it will grow new. Spray again as new leaves are soft and delicious.

A systemic insecticide soaks in and poisons insects that suck the sap or eat the leaves. Bees don't.

It isn't vine weevil.

If you want to take leaves for culinary use, use the Spring prunings before your first spraying.

It certainly looks like the damage vine weevil did to my plants. Have a gander at night, as mentioned as they are more active at night. That's how I found out.

Here's a couple of photo's to help, one is of the little rascal himself, and the other is of vine weevil damage. The munched notches that you have on yours can be a tell-tale sign that it's the start. It's exactly how mine started.

If you come across a beetle that is brown, not black, then it may be viburnum leaf beetle. Have a gander online :) Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and hope you get to the bottom of it. Enjoy the new hobby!

o_19rfq118j1huefc41kmu11rb1sen2i.jpg View attachment 142378

Attachments

• 1549798-SMPT.jpg
    1549798-SMPT.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 189
Last edited by a moderator:
Huh?

Systemic weed killer will kill the plant, not the pests.
You're right, apologies - long day.
A systemic bug killer, insecticide. There's one out there for vine weevil, which I used, bug clear or something like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back