What is wrong with this plant?

I don’t think it’s vine weavil damage. My RHS book says “symptoms: notches appear in leaf margins, often near the ground”. Your plant has holes in the middle of the leaves, not the margins. (Except your last picture, but that’s a different plant.)
To me it looks more like a “shothole” kind of disease, i.e. something (fungal/bacterial/virus) causes a spot to die, and the dead bit then falls out, leaving a hole.
Have a look at the RHS website. That should help you both identify the plant and identify the problem.

Sponsored Links
Fair enough - I can't see the other pics clear enough, I went on the last pic.

Thanks for the RHS website nudge, i have lots of reading ahead..

I have just been out with a torch but couldnt find any bugs, infact i only saw a tiny snail on one of the leaves. We have recently had a heavy thunderstorm though.

Having had another look at your photo's I think that it's a viburnum tinus. Still think it's bug damage. Most likely beetle damage.

Sponsored Links
I thought i woudl update this.

I sprayed the plant with Bug Clear, left it 7 days, then sprayed again as per the instructions.

I now have a few new leaves that seem to be unaffected. granted, there are only a few and the rest of the plant looks awful, but its a start.

Hopefully a picture is attached.

As things develop, i will report back.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 20180607_170742.jpg
    20180607_170742.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 80

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back