What kind of finish is this...

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
.....and how do i revive it?

Hello.

My dining room table is needing some tlc. The finish has worn away in large parts and i want to refurbish it.

I don't think it is varnish tbh. It seems like a wax finish as it's semi hard.

Any ideas how this was finished when 1st made and can i revive it?

Screenshot_20220116-172753.jpg

Sponsored Links
Most commercially made furniture made since WWII is finished with something like a 2-pack catalysed lacquer, a PU or melamine lacquer or a pre-catalysed (cellulose-based) lacquer, all of which are fairly impervious to solvents. The easiest way I know to find out if your finish is wax is to apply a couple of drops of a light oil such as paraffin oil BP or sewing machine oil to a "waxed" area and leave it for 4 to 5 minutes, then wipe it away with a clean white cotton rag or white kitchen roll. If you are left with a yellow/brown stain on the cloth which feels waxy you have a waxed finish

If that doesn't work try leaving a small amount of methylated spirits on an area of finish for 5 to 10 minutes. If your table top was French polished (using shellac) the finish should wipe away where the meths was left to (re-)dissolve it

Before refinishing you ideally need to determine what the finish is so you can take steps to avoid any new finish cissing.

Most commercially made furniture made since WWII is finished with something like a 2-pack catalysed lacquer, a PU or melamine lacquer or a pre-catalysed (cellulose-based) lacquer, all of which are fairly impervious to solvents. The easiest way I know to find out if your finish is wax is to apply a couple of drops of a light oil such as paraffin oil BP or sewing machine oil to a "waxed" area and leave it for 4 to 5 minutes, then wipe it away with a clean white cotton rag or white kitchen roll. If you are left with a yellow/brown stain on the cloth which feels waxy you have a waxed finish

If that doesn't work try leaving a small amount of methylated spirits on an area of finish for 5 to 10 minutes. If your table top was French polished (using shellac) the finish should wipe away where the meths was left to (re-)dissolve it

Before refinishing you ideally need to determine what the finish is so you can take steps to avoid any new finish cissing.

Great reply, thanks.
Tried light oil (3-1), nothing moved.

I've some Meths in the shed, will try that next.

Thanks

It might be French polish, which the methd will prove or disprove. Smaller shops and manufacturers were still using this into the 1970s I once worked for one such, and if exposed to heat and UV it can flake off. If it isn't you face the task of scraping and sanding away the existing finish, sealing the surfaces and refinishing. Easy to do for solid wood (which TBH this looks like it is), a bit more of a problem with veneered surfaces

Sponsored Links
Did you ever get to the bottom of what type of finish you have?

Household ammonia will additionally soften shellac

Yes, but the problem is it permanently changes the colour of some woods, especially sycamore (to grey, also called Harewood) and oak (darkens the wood by reacting with the tannin in the wood)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back