What kind of MCB is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

What kind of MCB is this and where can I buy a bigger one? Can I swap this myself legally (I can wire a plug, light switch etc).

Our electric shower died and that got me looking at what we can support on the existing wiring. Short answer is we need the same <9kW but I was concerned that the existing MCB is 30A as the old shower was 8.7kW. Never had a trip in 7 years and the dates on the internals of the shower point to manufacture of 2007 so it's been up for some time. The wiring is 6mm. I think the shower circuit for the replacement shower should have 40A.

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
What is the 45A MCB at the other end next to the RCD?
That's labelled cooker. Guess It's possible it also services the induction hob or other sockets, old oven was a double with separate ceramic hob. not sure if that's allowed, Kitchen was done in 2019 so it should be to code (hopefully). You were thinking I could possibly swap them I presume? Cooker is 3.5kW and hob 3.7kW.
was discontinued years ago

If it's discontinued that's why I can't find anything that looks the same. Not too keen on reclaimed but might be OK. We were planning to redo the bathroom soon, so if we get a shower pump instead of electric this will be for the short term only. Looks like I can make some money back selling the MCB!!

The existing 8.7kW has not apparently caused any issues (assuming the MCB works!), replacement is looking to be 8.5kW so is there any risk to try it and see? Other than it trips half way through a shower? We could buy one with an eco mode maybe which might help?

Sponsored Links
Aside: why does the double pole isolator have a security seal on it?

Installed by the supplier and the seals are pretty pointless IMHO except they are on the live side so maybe it’s to protect the stupid

@andy_nufc
Installed by the supplier and the seals are pretty pointless IMHO except they are on the live side so maybe it’s to protect the stupid
Exactly that. EON seal the incoming side (that's their responsibility). the outgoing side - that you or the electrician can access - is not sealed.
Obvious.

You were thinking I could possibly swap them I presume?
Yes. No real possibility that any domestic cooking equipment requires a 45A device, 30A would be the usual choice.

Otherwise it's dodgy used and broken tat from the likes of ebay.

Kitchen was done in 2019 so it should be to code (hopefully).
More likely they just reused what was there and didn't care about any of the electrical services.

@andy_nufc

Exactly that. EON seal the incoming side (that's their responsibility). the outgoing side - that you or the electrician can access - is not sealed.
Obvious.
IME when the isolator is fitted by the supplier/DNO/meter fitter and they terminate the load side tails too, they tend to seal both ends:confused:

IME when the isolator is fitted by the supplier/DNO/meter fitter and they terminate the load side tails too, they tend to seal both ends:confused:

Just because they have been over-zealous with their sealing, it doens't follow that you have to feel the least bit guilty when chopping the extra ones off!

Just because they have been over-zealous with their sealing, it doens't follow that you have to feel the least bit guilty when chopping the extra ones off!
And indeed I've removed both seals on a number of ocassions as they seem to like fitting the enclosures/covers upside down, meaning both covers have to be removed to access the load side terminals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back