What kind of radiator valve?

Normally you should be able to shove the pipes by 5mm.

If not, yes get one of those 10mm extensions and move the radiator by 5mm.

Personally I've used 'Tru Blue" or similar pipe joint sealant for radiator tails to avoid leaks, but I know others with more experience believe you just need enough PTFE and I won't argue with them!

(As an added complication, I guess the new tails may not screw in as far as the old ones!)

Sponsored Links
There is a very good possibility that the old valve tail will marry up with your new valve with old or new nut. Your old tail is conical and so is the new valve inner .PTFE tape applied liberally to the new valve thread and overlapping the edge ,so that the tape overhangs and folds over ,so it sits / forms a film inside the conical shape mating surface.so when its presented to the tail ,the PTFE will be in contact with the two mating surfaces.

****edit***
Or wrap PTFE on the mating face on the old tail , same thing but maybe easier to do

Last edited:
There is a very good possibility that the old valve tail will marry up with your new valve with old or new nut. Your old tail is conical and so is the new valve inner .PTFE tape applied liberally to the new valve thread and overlapping the edge ,so that the tape overhangs and folds over ,so it sits / forms a film inside the conical shape mating surface.so when its presented to the tail ,the PTFE will be in contact with the two mating surfaces.

****edit***
Or wrap PTFE on the mating face on the old tail , same thing but maybe easier to do

The new valve inner isn't conical, it's got a flat surface to seat the gasket so it'll probably leak.

I've found another model of angled radiator valve at Tarvis Perkins:

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Alt...-Wheel-Head-and-Lock-Shield-Cap-15mm/p/994041

http://www.altecnic.co.uk/plumbing-heating/radiator-valves/22a/

Going by the datasheet it's 6/7mm longer than the screwfix one, hopefully that'll do, I'll try and return them as they didn't have the dimensions on the website there was no way for me to know they were the wrong size.

Cheers, I forgot to mention that both valves on the radiator are seized so I bought that to replace both sides. There are lock shields on both sides of every radiator in my flat, no TRVs at present.

I believe I'm correct in saying that you shouldn't have a TRV on radiator (and instead have two lockshields), if there is a wall mounted thermostat nearby. So if you do have a wall mounted thermostat nearby, that'll probably explain both lockshields.

Sponsored Links
View media item 101005
I managed to get the Travis Perkins valve on. Only problem with that one was that the new tails were the type that needed to be tightened using a spanner on the outside, not the hex through the middle of the tail, the middle was rounded.

The problem with that was as I was applying more torque it was beginning to strip the outside of the nut as only have adjustable wrenches which I couldn't get to the exact size, I need to get a set of imperial and metric wrenches of set sizes. It's not a problem if you can get a 1/2 inch hex down the middle.

Now to pressure test and check for leaks.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back