What kind of water system is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am looking at a property but am confused as to what kind of water system is in place.

I am told there is a combi boiler downstairs in the kitchen, but there's a hot water tank in a cupboard upstairs. The shower in the place is also electric

Does this mean there is a cold water tank in the loft?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200224_124919039_iOS.jpg
    20200224_124919039_iOS.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 20200224_124931073_iOS.jpg
    20200224_124931073_iOS.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 175
Sponsored Links
I can’t see no coils on that cylinder so perhaps just an electric backup for the combi? I would imagine that would need a cold water storage tank in the loft.

Edit: Ignore that. It looks like there is a coil. I think it’s just a conventional system. Are you sure it’s a combi?

That's what I was told by the agents, new combi was installed when the kitchen was renovated. I'm not sure if they really know now.

So there's no sure way of telling if there's a tank in the loft from the pictures?

A Combi can produce hot water on demand without the need for a hot water cylinder, so it is unusual for a hot water cylinder to be connected to a Combi.

The Landis & Gyr programmer was produced in the 1980's and does have control for heating a hot water cylinder.

So either the agents are mistaken in calling it a combi (some don't know the difference between a 'combi boiler' and a 'condensing boiler') or maybe someone has connected a combi to an existing hot water cylinder, which I have seen done, with the combi then just used to supply hot water to the kitchen tap, or one bathroom (if there is more than one bathroom in the property)

Sponsored Links
That's a vented indirect HW cylinder so it would normally have a cistern in the loft. There could still be a combi installed, that could still run a HW cylinder without an issue. Ask to look at the boiler documentation, that'll tell you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back