What KVA Generator Should I Use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are having our wedding in a marquee this year and need a generator to provide the power. It's only a medium sized event that requires some lighting, a disco and a bar to run of the generator.
If someone could give me an idea of the KVA generator size we should use i would be very gratefull.
Many Thanks
J

Sponsored Links
you would be surprised how much power you will consume with events such as this. are you having cateres? bands/disco with lighting, amps fog machines etc..., heaters? lighting/star lighting. i would suggest asking the marquee co. for advise on this.

james13 said:
Hi,

We are having our wedding in a marquee this year and need a generator to provide the power. It's only a medium sized event that requires some lighting, a disco and a bar to run of the generator.
If someone could give me an idea of the KVA generator size we should use i would be very gratefull.
Many Thanks
J

Some one has already mentioned asking the Marquee supplier. Best advice. You should consider some battery operated lights to avoid sudden darkness should the generator cut out for any reason.

Tell the DJ / disco supplier it is generator supply,. his decks may require accurate frequency supply, generators vary in frequency with load and this may affect the speed of turn-tables etc.

If you have no option but to use a generator do NOT skimp on cost. A silenced generator still can be heard, a silent generator in a sound proof box is almost silent, they have exhausts which can smell so bear in mind wind direction deciding where to site the generator.

bernardgreen Wrote:
this may affect the speed of turn-tables etc

I think they use CD's nowadays, it's a silver thing a bit smaller than a 7" single :LOL:

Sponsored Links
racket said:
bernardgreen Wrote:
this may affect the speed of turn-tables etc

I think they use CD's nowadays, it's a silver thing a bit smaller than a 7" single :LOL:

Vinyl 7 inch and larger are still used, but I take you point CDs are becoming popular. I miss the old cylinders.

Friend of mine in exactly the same situation used 5Kva genni hired from a company called A-Plant, don't know if they have them where you are, but they were excellent.They supplied & installed everything down to the temp sockets & for a reasonable £150. I could not buy the materials for that to put in a temporary supply for him. That was april 2005 but I do not think prices will have risen that much.Marquee company were clueless.

I think this might be a bit overkill :LOL:

IMGP1434.jpg

jj4091 said:
Friend of mine in exactly the same situation used 5Kva genni hired from a company called A-Plant, don't know if they have them where you are, but they were excellent.They supplied & installed everything down to the temp sockets & for a reasonable £150. I could not buy the materials for that to put in a temporary supply for him. That was april 2005 but I do not think prices will have risen that much.Marquee company were clueless.

5kVA (20amp ish) is a bit on small side to prevent hunting as lights etc get turned on & off.

When you hire a geny most of the cost's are transportation so don't worry about over sizing.

For an outdoor event with DJ's kit I would plump for 10-20kVA. Make sure it's fitted with an electronic governor as this will help with load changes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back