What length of screws?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Didn't know such a simple thing was so hard to describe!

I want to screw a 20mm thick plank onto the edge of another piece of wood and at right angles to it. I initially thought that the longer the screw I use, the stronger the fitting would be, however, I got to thinking that if I try to break a long piece of stick with my hands, it breaks much more easily than a short piece of stick, so, I am wondering it this applies to the screws in my case as well.

Should I use short or long screws? Obviously, 20mm of the screw will be used up going through the 20mm plank. What length of screw would give me the strongest joint?

Also, it's solid wood; is there any particular type of screw should I be looking for?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Traveller said:
I want to screw a 20mm thick plank onto the edge of another piece of wood and at right angles to it. I initially thought that the longer the screw I use, the stronger the fitting would be, however, I got to thinking that if I try to break a long piece of stick with my hands, it breaks much more easily than a short piece of stick, so, I am wondering it this applies to the screws in my case as well.
1/3 wood thickness and 2/3 into fixing so 20mm will need 60mm length

Should I use short or long screws? Obviously, 20mm of the screw will be used up going through the 20mm plank. What length of screw would give me the strongest joint?

Also, it's solid wood; is there any particular type of screw should I be looking for?
Take your pick! http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=A131353

Thanks masona, brilliant!

I've managed to narrow it down to the second type in the following list because I think it may be softwood (not sure though) and I see the word 'strength'! I also don't need to drive the screws in fast as I am going to do them manually with a normal screwdriver and probably will pre-drill anyway. Any particular one from your link which fits the bill?

http://www.screwfix.com/sfd//i/campaign/Screws/popup/screw_chooser.htm

What's does 'high pull out retention refer to?

Thanks, really appreciate your help!

Sponsored Links
Thanks masona; didn't realise a screw could have so many features!! Will get some of these asap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back