What make of Boiler

S

swidders

Am about to replace current relic of a system.
Mains supply @3.1 bar, 15litres per min
Will need HW outlets for kitchen and shower/sink in bathroom (no bath)
Total CH output nominal 28kW - new 2-pipework, rads, TVRs etc throughout to replace current single pipe system.

CH will be for:
Zone 1 - 3beds, 1kitchen, 1bathroom and 1rad in hall (which will be on lockshields for purpose of programmable room stat

Zones 2 & 3 - two reception rooms UFH with separate programmable stats

So am looking at a combi for pressurised system.

So, the question is - which make of boiler? Am torn between Worcester CDi, Vaillant, and Atmos Intercombi.

My RGI advises me he is happy to fit whatever I want and has no preference. Having been on these forums, I have observed several different opinions, but would now like to canvass a vote to help in my final decision. So, who's for what?

Sponsored Links
this question crops up most days

browse //www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7 and read a few of the similar posts

or look at //search.diynot.com/forum_sear...it=drop&since=any&author=&search=Search+Forum

You are not compelled to have a Combi boiler, although many installers will want to sell you one. A combi will not give such a good hot flow as a power shower and will be rather slow to fill a bath.

Except under very unusual conditions, you will have to have a Condensing boiler, which will be more efficient than your old one. However it will blow out a plume of steam from the flue on cold days, so put it where this will not be a nuisance to you or to neighbours. On a blank wall without windows is often good.

It is vitally important to have your old system thoroughly cleaned before installing a new boiler, and preferably have a Magnaclean or Sentinel filter or similar fitted to prevent old sediment getting into the new boiler and pump.

I am aware of the frequency of this coming up - was hoping for quick responses - naming manufacturer, based on experience of reliability, ease of servicing, ease of getting parts.

I know pretty well the minimum specs required, and about Sedbuk A (90%), and so on.

I fit the following in order of price and reliability

ATAG, Vaillant and Broag

Sponsored Links
Thanks for bothering to post - my tally chart is looking depressingly empty still!

Thank you all for your help so far - inundated with useful replies.

OK, as a householder my opinion probably isn't useful. I'll chip in with a vote for Vaillant though, based on my limited experience.

Stay away from the Worcester they used to be good but not any more.
The baxi are OK if your tight on budget then BPS at Burnley are doing a deal on the ebay
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Burnley-Plumbing-Tel-0844-88-49663
Plumbfix have a great deal on the Baxi but your plumber will have to buy for you .Corgi only ,Fit a Magnaclean it will save you on repairs & easy for you to clean your self PS put the inhibitor in every year & the Magna clean makes it easy to pore it in .
The vailiant are good but not cheap part are expensive but ither way fit the magnaclean I am a tight ass but I put them on all jobs now.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks - my RGI would prefer me to get the boiler to keep his turnover down. And no, I'm not on a fiddle/intended DIY job - I will do the wet work since am qualified to, and leave tails for him to connect to, whilst not touching the gas nor hanging boiler etc.

Budget isn't too tight, just want a good, reliable boiler which will do the job consistently.

The quality of installer you use is far more important than what boiler.

Too true - have worked with him in the past in customers' houses and seen the quality of his work, which is why I have no qualms about him doing work in my own house. He comes from a personal recommendation - mine!

There's not much between the top manufacturers in terms of reliability, but Vaillant boilers are certainly the easiest to repair and maintain of your list and the single reason why I will not fit WB boilers. To throw a spanner in the works I would personally recommend a Glowworm Ultracom, the 30 or 38 CXi would probably suit as a combi option. Most of the parts are shared with Vaillant, it has an in built clock, and I've never had an issue with any I've fitted.

Thanks wetandhot and Mickyg. WB is going towards the bottom of the list. Anyone got any ideas about the Intercombi?

Thanks wetandhot and Mickyg. WB is going towards the bottom of the list. Anyone got any ideas about the Intercombi?

atmos intercombi are expensive, hard to get spares for and most engineers won't be familiar with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back