what makes a good Electric shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it the kw number im looking at, or is it simply you get what you pay for? I resent paying £500 for one if i can get better for half the price?

Sponsored Links
the kw is the power of the shower (more power equals better flow rates and higher temperatures dependant on an adequate cold mains supply), mira and aqualisa are too good quality makers and yes you do get what you pay for.

In principle, a 9.5Kw unit costs almost negligibly more than a 7.5Kw to make.

Obviously your electrical cable and protection needs to specified accordingly in your property, so you can't just connect a 45amp shower to a 32amp circuit.

Your choice will be down to features, warranty, branding and aesthetics.

Triton and Mira are the market leaders I believe. I am sure either of them make a shower for £500 but the flow rates from two 9.5Kw showers, one £150 and the other £500 will be near identical.

Sponsored Links
If you are coming off the boiler than you don't want an electric shower, you want a pumped or unpumped thermostatic shower mixer.

In which case my recommended options are as per Dangermouse, with the addition of Grohe.

i couldnt begin to tell you how comfused i am right now!

I think i cant run one from my boiler, as per the other thread i made, my system is too rubbish (??) so i need an electric one.

I dont want to buy a £400 electric one thats exactly the same as the £50 one in b&q so just wanted you guys opinions as to what the big differences were.

As far as i can see the majority are 9.5kw, or 9.8kw with not much price difference. Will there be a huge difference in power or is it best to go for the highest i can.?? Or are there any implications as to having to high power?

i couldnt begin to tell you how comfused i am right now!

I think i cant run one from my boiler, as per the other thread i made, my system is too rubbish (??) so i need an electric one.

I dont want to buy a £400 electric one thats exactly the same as the £50 one in b&q so just wanted you guys opinions as to what the big differences were.

As far as i can see the majority are 9.5kw, or 9.8kw with not much price difference. Will there be a huge difference in power or is it best to go for the highest i can.?? Or are there any implications as to having to high power?

you could run a thermostatic mixer shower off your boiler but as it is only 24kw (low power for a gas combi) and a very unreliable model I wouldn't recommend it. Go for a 9.5kw electric one instead as when (not if) your boiler breaks down you can still have a shower. Simple.

wonderful, thanks guys.

Have just ordered a Mira Azora 9.8kw shower.

So excited now WOOHOO!!

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool: :D

now you just need a plumber and an elctrician to fit it. On those days when the boilers broken you still have hw now. You'll probably get to know your local heating engineer(s) quite well over the next few years with that boiler. . . . . .

no Im not listening, its going to be fine!
I have british gas home care so im fine for now!

Have not seen the link, but guess you are the proud owner of an ideal, "serviced" by bg, and you want to diy an electric shower to improve things.

Good luck, and make sure you keep the link to this forum

:cry: Fantastic... BG have had nothing to do with my boiler as yet, i have been using people recommended by locals.
I dont need anymore stress about my rubbish boiler thank guy, there is nothing i can do about it til it goes wrong, but dont they all eventually!

I'm not planning on DIYing a shower at all, i am buying the stuff for the plumber to put in (before you all start i know i need an electrician for the shower) As im sure yo uall have gathered from my posts on here last night i know just about enough to change a light bulb, and turn a tap off, so i would never attempt to do anything more than that!

I came on here as someone told me about a bunch of really helpful people who would talk you through anything you were stuck with, not take the P about something i have no control over and worry me needlesly about it!

I have 3 young children and the last thing i need to be stresing about is the boiler, when it wasnt even a concern to me this time yesterday.

Thanks for your help guys, some of you have been exceptionally helpful :rolleyes: :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back