what material should i use for behind a wood burning stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i would like to box my recess off at each side of my wood burning stove and then tile so that the recess sides are flush with the cash iron fire surround i am using, i would like to box the wall off 2" aprox and i take it thats to much to render.

i am after a solution, do i have to use a fire proof material or a heat proof material, id like something i could tile straight onto if possible. Once tiled the tiles are going to be 100mm away from the stove

ive had a look at this: http://www.enviroboards.co.uk/
and also
Vermiculite Board | VitCas.com

they are all very very expensive, i could render the back wall which is breeze block, what render would you use? again this will be 100mm distance away from the stove

any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I have installed a number of cast iron log burners, from your message I think you have two options.
The first is to have it rendered, this can be done to the two inches you require however this will have to be carried out using a number of coats of render to build up the thickness. The problems you may still encounter is that due to the heat the render might still crack, I suggest you carry out further research as the render you require needs to be a special mix incorporating cement, sand, lime and synthetic fibers. i'm sure most builders like myself have experimented and found out their own secret recipe.
The second option is to stud out the walls and use a fiber board, these boards are readily available from builders merchants in 8x4 sheets. they are white and made from a similar but much stronger plaster. I have never attempted to tile onto a fiberboard so you will need to research and find out if this is possible. You will then need to make sure that whatever tile adhesive you use is able to withstand the heat.

Hope this helps, if in doubt call in a professional

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back