What Mattress Do You Swear By?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you rate memory foam mattresses like Emma, Casper, Leesa, Simba, and Dormeo?

Or are you a trad mattress fan?

Or maybe hybrids?

As a family, we have four single MF mattresses, one Emma, one Casper and two cheaper ones, one pure foam, the other incorporating steel springs.

I have tried them all, but find them too soft and unsupportive. I'm a back sleeper mainly, with occasional side sleeping. We are upgrading to a wider bed frame so we can have a different single mattress each.

Our old mattress was a firm sprung orthopaedic type, but it's showing its age at 21!!

I'm sure I will be plumping for a traditional spring mattress, firm, suited to a back sleeper, but I may be persuaded towards a memory foam mattress.

We need to wait until places open up before we can try some out.

What are you sleeping on and how do you rate it?

Sponsored Links
Top of the range Benson's bed with a Savoy mattress from the Serenity range with a sewn in topper. About £1100 ten years ago and its £1300 now (mattress only.)
You need to pole vault to get in it but sheer luxxxxury.
John :)

We bought a pocket sprung mattress about 10 years ago from Laura Ashley in their 50% off sale. Even then it was over a grand. It’s a lot thicker than a normal mattress, probably 12” thick, and it is almost physically impossible to turn over - it’s that heavy. I seem to remember it had 3,600 springs in it. Probably getting due for replacement now. I’ve never liked memory foam mattresses when I’ve stayed in hotels with them.

One of the holiday cottages we rented in Nth Yorks, first night missus said it was best nights sleep she'd ever had. By the end of the week she'd pulled the mattress off to find the brand name. It was an Ikea *something unpronouncable*, a pocket sprung with a built in memory foam topper, sold as 2 different firmness's by simply turning the mattress over.

After spending hour after hour in our local Ikea she discovered that they sold out all over Europe & it was now replaced by (insert hurdy gurdy name). Not the same, not the same at all.

Cunning as she is, she rebooked the cottage for a long weekend & swapped the mattress over.

Me, I can sleep on a pile of rubble . . . .

Sponsored Links
One of the holiday cottages we rented in Nth Yorks, first night missus said it was best nights sleep she'd ever had. By the end of the week she'd pulled the mattress off to find the brand name. It was an Ikea *something unpronouncable*, a pocket sprung with a built in memory foam topper, sold as 2 different firmness's by simply turning the mattress over.

After spending hour after hour in our local Ikea she discovered that they sold out all over Europe & it was now replaced by (insert hurdy gurdy name). Not the same, not the same at all.

Cunning as she is, she rebooked the cottage for a long weekend & swapped the mattress over.

Me, I can sleep on a pile of rubble . . . .
My friend rents out holiday cottages in N Yorkshire. He's a bit miffed about some dirty scoundrel who nicked his mattress. He reckons the one they left behind was a dead cheap product, which has had some heavy usage.
Can I send you his details, so you can explain yourself? :whistle:

Top of the range Benson's bed with a Savoy mattress from the Serenity range with a sewn in topper. About £1100 ten years ago and its £1300 now (mattress only.)
You need to pole vault to get in it but sheer luxxxxury.
John :)

Sounds similar to ours. I'll check it later.

Don't like any memory foam mattresses, I find them uncomfortably hot, due presumably to sinking in to them.

Eddie... Funny you should say that. One night this week, I woke up dripping with sweat, horrible.

Dork... IKEA get a decent report from Which about one of their mattresses.
Used to be a best buy but has just been pipped by another but still, in their own words, a worthy buy.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
For the last 20 or so had Tempura.

On our 2nd one now with Tempura bed and it's still in good nick after 12 or 13 years. Hopefully last another 7 years then I'll look for a cheaper version.

It can sweat

Don't like any memory foam mattresses, I find them uncomfortably hot, due presumably to sinking in to them.

Exactly. A friend warned not to buy one. It was fine when he bought it in winter, but made it very sweaty in a heat wave. Said it was very clingy in the heat. He binned it and bought a traditional type.

We've got a decent quality sprung mattress but the wife finds it too firm so that mainly stays in the guest room and we use a memory foam. Comfortable enough but as others have said you end up sweating like a rapist in the hot weather.
The other thing I find with the memory foam, is that because the bastard cats spend all day sleeping on it, it remembers them but not me.

Exactly. A friend warned not to buy one. It was fine when he bought it in winter, but made it very sweaty in a heat wave. Said it was very clingy in the heat. He binned it and bought a traditional type.
I have friends in Italy who have a bed shop. Their advice was not to buy a memory foam mattress.

I am on my third dunlopillo mattress.
It was about 1k for a double.
I like a firm mattress and don't find it hot as you lie on it, not in it.

Sponsored Links
Back