What Mattress Do You Swear By?

Sponsored Links
I often swear on my mattress. Still have a very cheap over with a duvet trying out. Actually comfy. Paid £310 for divan base with drawers, mattress and headboard. Cheap and cheerful!

Sponsored Links
Prawns done like that are fantastic, especially with some sweet chilli sauce.

There's only one Prawn in my bed and it's a bloody big King Prawn... It likes a bit of action so its never Chilli .
Yul bro Sweet

I replaced a traditional mattress last year with a real cheapy blue memory foam full double mattress. It arrived as a tight and quite light roll, needing to be left open to expand for 24 hours. It uses springs and foam and was sold, suggesting the blue foam was cooler than other memory foam. I don't have anything to compare it with, other than previous traditional mattresses, but...

My back used to 'go' regularly whilst I was working, to the point where I might be shuffling up the stairs on my backside. I have not had it quite that bad since I retired. I seem to be fairly insensitive to mattresses, I can sleep on anything, providing I can stretch out full length - so whether the foam is better or worse, I have no idea. One big difference I notice between the old and new mattress is when I sit on the very edge of the foam - there is not much support and the edge crushes right down.

I still have the old mattress stored, in case I change my mind - I have a few large items needing to be collected, I just need to ring the council to fix up a 'large item collection'.

Old thread resurrection I know, but whilst changing the bedding, I happened across a name on the above mattress. It's a Pearl Cooltouch, othopedic - official pric £245, I bought it new and delivered for around £60 via Ebay. No complaints from me, it's a really comfortable mattress. The only thing is, the edges are quite soft, if you sit on the side, it crushes down.

Well, since I last wrote, my back pain has come back. Sick of waking up in pain and not being able to stand upright for around the first hour.

Bought two Eve hybrids after reading Which? reviews.

I know I said I didn't like them. But they get a good score, are not slated for being sweaty and we can sleep on them for a year to decide if we like them and send them back if we don't.

Let's face it: anything has to be better than waking up in agony and not being able to stand upright.

Mrs Secure seemed surprised at the price: 473 for two singles.

I think that's a good price, she thinks it is expensive.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Well, since I last wrote, my back pain has come back. Sick of waking up in pain and not being able to stand upright for around the first hour.

Snap. I had a bought of it last week too. Not cause, I just woke up with it on the Monday and it just got worse as the week progressed - by the Friday, I did what I have never bothered to do before, made a phone appointment to speak to the physiotherapist later that day, just to find out a name for the back pain. After a few test exercises, over the phone, and my lengthy description - I had it diagnosed as what used to be called just simple lumbago and was emailed a link to some exercises to help avoid it in the future.

Mrs Secure seemed surprised at the price: 473 for two singles.

I think they charge for mattresses, just as much as the gullible public are willing to pay for them. As said above, I paid £60 delivered, for an absolutely identical double mattress selling elsewhere for £245. It's a very similar market to the disability aids market, of charging what people can be convinced to pay, rather than what things are worth and big profits to be made by all involved.

I'll let you know how I get on with it.

One thing I was told, was that unless the mattress was a really bad or worn out one - then it would make little difference to any back pain. Most of the sales blurb for the benefits of expensive, fancy mattresses, is just that. All that really matters is comfort.

One thing I was told, was that unless the mattress was a really bad or worn out one - then it would make little difference to any back pain. Most of the sales blurb for the benefits of expensive, fancy mattresses, is just that. All that really matters is comfort.
Many physical conditions (minor or more serious) are exacerbated when lying down, it's to do with how gravity acts on a horizontal as opposed to vertical body. Depending on the condition, the mattress itself doesn't always make a massive difference. Obviously no one would advocate sleeping on a worn out 20 year old mattress, however the way some products are marketed as a cure-all is exactly that ... marketing.

In addition, it's such a personal thing. Take three similar people and ask them all to sleep on the same make/firmness of mattress. Chances are one will say it's great, one will say it's okay and one will say it's terrible.

That's where the 100-200 night sleep trials are a step forward rather than trying to judge things in 5 mins in a bed store.

I know... I can't see anyone being able to judge a mattress after 5 minutes.

One of my potential choices was a Yorkshire Ortho mattress. As far as I can tell, only Furniture Village sell them so I rolled up one Sunday and lay down and went to sleep for just over an hour.

It was OK, but I thought I'd try the Eve one seeing as I had a whole year's trial.

Plus, the Yorkshire mattress was 700 quid.

That's where the 100-200 night sleep trials are a step forward rather than trying to judge things in 5 mins in a bed store.

Which is one of the reasons you have to pay through the nose, for such a service. The returned items are just scrap.

Personally, I find I can happily sleep on any reasonable mattress.

Well, we got our Eve Hybrid mattresses.

They are miles thicker than the old foam mattresses and have way more support.

My back pain has not quite disappeared, but it has reduced massively.

I expect it will reduce further, but even if it doesn't, it's a great improvement.

And we have a year to decide if we want to keep them.

I actually look forward to going to bed now!

Sponsored Links
Back