What methods are available to power an aquarium heater?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. In posting this question, I am revealing my ignorance, but I found that trying to find the answer on the Web produced only more confusion, so to be able to ask a simple question and get a straight answer is worth seeming to be an ignoramus.

I am trying to cure a lavatory cistern that drips condensation onto the floor. It occurred to me that an aquarium heater might cure the problem. However, after hearing about wireless aquariuim heaters, I looked some up, only to find that they are not POWERED wirelessly, but CONTROLLED wirelessly. Disappointment!

In our separate lavatory, there is no power supply except the one to the light fitting in the ceiling, so I have no idea how an aquarium heater could be powered, if immersed in the cistern. A cable leading from the cistern and up the wall (after negotiating a window recess), and through the ceiling, would be unsightly. A batttery-powered heater would not be workable, because of the cost (I assume).

Is there any genius out there that can offer any ideas about curing the condensation with an aquarium heater?

With thanks in not-very-hopeful anticipation,
L.L.

Sponsored Links
In theory it might work, but potentially highly dangerous to any human using the toilet. Can't you just out a bucket under the drip until the weather warms up.

Sponsored Links
Drain and line with self adhesive insulation film .
Thanks, foxhole. I didn't know that there was any self-adhesive insulation film. I suppose you mean heat-insulation film? What is this stuff usually used for? (I doubt whether it's made especially for lining cisterns.) Can you give me a brand-name (or better still, a link) so that I can see how it is advertised? Thanks in anticipation,
L.L.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Foxhole, I don't know what happened to my "quote" (the above looks very different to what I intended to paste in), but you know what I'm referring to. Thanks very much for the information/link that you have supplied. I shall probably have a go at doing my cistern with that stuff, when the weather gets warmer.
L.L.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back