What on earth is my house made out of?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently moved into a an 1890's victorian cottage. The construction from the outside is hard to determine as the whole thing is rendered. We, and our suveyor, assumed that it would be a solid brick construction.

However, since moving in this does not seem to be the case. The party wall in the understairs cupboard is slightly damaged and where it has crumbled there is basically what what looks like old cement with chunks of stone and, for lack of a better word, rubble.

When speaking to our neighbours the other day I asked if they knew more about the construction. They told me that they had had problems hanging things on the walls - some bits were so hard they couldn't even drill into it, other bits went in easy but didn't support much weight.

After they moved in they told me they had had the whole house pebble dash rendered. Initially the builder had tried to hack off the old render, but couldn't as he was "taking lumps of the wall out with it". In the end he apparently had to render over the render, using some sort of method I didn't really understand.

At the base of our house where the wall meets the driveway there is a little bit of a gap where the render stops and the driveway begins. Here is a bit odd looking - In most places there is a fairly smooth surface that resembles a brick, but there are no mortorjoins I can see. Equally, in other places there appears to be slate placed in front of this smooth surface.

In a couple of places upstairs walls have developed a localised bulge. If you knock it it sounds like the plaster has come away from whatever the surface is behind, but if you press hard on it there is no give whatsoever... it's rock solid but sounds hollow? The plasterer that looked at it seemed a little baffled.

Anyone have any idea what sort of contruction I am looking at here? The walls are about 11 inches thick.

Sponsored Links
Might be Cob, try googling Cob walls.

I think they are a bit thicker as a rule 18" - 24" but anything is possible.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it could be a type of lime rubble concrete.

It can be very variable in quality as the make up can vary depending on what ever the builder could get his hands on at the time. The only way to tell for sure is to take core samples. Probably the most well known type is Bungaroush but this is very much restricted to Brighton with regional variations on the same theme.

Probably time to call a good Structural Engineer, preferably one with experience of this type of construction.

101 is right it is Bungaroush shuttered walling and finished with a render.
Only come across it twice in our lifetime, and first time we caught a cold on the work we priced, second time we run a mile when we saw what it was.
Date of construction is right. Normally built of brick spread footing straight of sub soil, Shuttered and poured with lime mortar slurry as binder and anything they could lay their hands on. Stone . chalk, brick bats, rubble, tin cans, crisp bags, you name it, you will have it. The slate you see is possibly a course of vertical slates bedded to the wall to the bottom to assist in stopping damp penetration. Favourite trick of the old Victorian boys.
Everything you have described points to Bungaroush, although never known it to be up in London.
If she has started to bulge, then expect possible problems in the future.
Regards oldun

I lived in Brighton for quite a few years, so have worked on a lot of these type of walls. The quoins and frame opening jambs are usually brick, but the rest is Bungaroosh. It's normally the render that holds it all together.
Getting a fix into the wall can be tricky. Often you have to just knock a chunk out and put a few bricks in place.
Putting new door or window openings in can be tricky, you just have to go easy, and don't try and remove all the loose bits, or you will end up back in the footings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back