What on earth is this? [SOLVED: Victorian drainage interceptor trap plunge shaft]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone explain what this ceramic inlet/outlet is?

Top is about 9" in diameter and leads to series of vertical ceramic pipes. It is located about 11 feet from the pavement appears to be connected to the waste water (when I empty the bath you can hear rushing water and faintly see rippling water at the bottom. Haven't measured the depth of pipe but I would say around 12-18 feet. Property is late Victorian.

So can anyone tell me what this is called and what it's used for? (n)

Sponsored Links
Its a plunge point for a water trap that's beneath it.......a sort of an interceptor trap design.
Google interceptor traps and you'll see what I mean.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick responses (y)

Wikipedia (so it must be true(!)) suggests that interceptor traps, disconnecting traps and Buchan traps are alternative names for the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buchan_trap

Apparently the Victorians thought cholera was an airborne - not waterborne - disease, so these traps were designed to prevent sewer air entering the house via the waste water pipe.

In my specific case I think it's a stand alone interceptor trap "commonly found before the drainage system crosses a boundary line". Apparently we are lucky the plunge shaft is still accessible:

"i have optimistically shown the plunge shaft rising up to surface level though in reality this is seldom the case with gardeners, landscapers and drive layers burying or concealing the access shaft."

http://www.draindomain.com/interceptor traps.html

Thanks again for solving our front garden mystery!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back