What options? Burried Drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What options do I have?

The rear of my house if a right mess with waste pipes and drains - I'm having some building work done and at the same time I'd like to get this mess sorted out. Reduce (or eliminate) the pipework and get rid of the open drains. The nearest manhole/access is about 3 feet away and another about 10 feet further on, so there's no shortage of access.

I think it my be prudent to keep a rodding point or two, but what are the risks/hazards/problems of getting rid of the unsightly drains right on the patio. The whole lot needs re-doing, no doubt about that. And the starting point is to tidy up the drains

View media item 88043
Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Plastic pipes easy enough, reroute into sealed gullies, or straight into a stub stack, but what are the pair of copper pipes for?

• Thanks
Reactions: ree
Okay, so I need to say to the builder "Sealed gullies please".

The copper pipes are the effluent lines from a water softener - which is due to be moved too. (I don't know why it has two separate ones)

Nozzle

Well spotted the pair of Cu pipes - i'd assumed it was a black ABS waste.

Agree with the above with one qualification: i assume that only the wastes on show drain to that manhole? Where is the WC and where does it drain to?

Sponsored Links
Okay, so I need to say to the builder "Sealed gullies please".

Nozzle
No - say" 1 stub stack between the 2 existing gullies " ;) I`m with Hugh ( again ) Stack goes in bosses go on the sides - everything continues to use the gullies - then a couple of hours re doing the wastes . Job's a goodun :idea:

Using black waste pipes for any pipes that will remain on show would remove the visual impact (in my opinion)

I'd dig through the foundation and extend the drain to the inside with a twin inlet floor boss.
Then eliminates all exposed unsightly wall pipe work and no issues with freezing. Thats how new builds are done these days.
Were way ahead over here in the province.

Hi Guys,

Thanks to you all for the replies, sorry it has taken a while to get back - the family are over this weekend.

I've now updated the original piccy with some annotations. That is an interesting suggestion about bringing the drain inside, though wouldn't want that to be open - can they be sealed, by way of a small durgo type thing?

I think the stub stack option might still need two drain? The lowest point of either room means I couldn't have a common stack, though really only the bath need to be that low, there's no reason for dishwasher outlet to be so low. I hope the effluents from the water softener can go into the waste pipes before or after a trap and it can discharge in that way rather than having separate Cu pipes on their own route to drain.

Nozzle

Yes of course they are sealed.
You use a twin inlet floor boss or 4in/110mm 40mm and 40mm double equal to socket waste pipe adaptor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back