What Paint Do You Use For These Stairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some stairs (all wooden construction which appears to have been previously varnished.

I want to paint the stair treads black (satin) and the handrail and baluster white (similar to the image below)

Can I ask, what would be the best paint for this task?

8f085919bd34d6dc326b8d3e5e545d29.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I cant see any image, I presume all the stairs is varnished, if that is the case you would have to sand down - degloss - all the areas you are going to paint, make sure all areas to be painted are dust free, apply a coat of Zinsser bin to areas you are going to paint. You can either use white and black satinwood in oil based or water based, water based obviously dries very quick and recoatable in a few hours where as oil paints take most of a day and would have to recoat the next day. You can use Crown, Dulux, Johnstones, and the list goes on.

Image finally added :mrgreen:

@gc1967 Thank you

Am I right in saying that an oil based paint would be more hardwearing and thus more suitable for stairs (especially the treads?)

Also would acrylic floor paint work well too?

A flat I once owned had bare wooden stairs (just stained and varnished) the leading edge always received the most wear. If you can find something like a metal edge protector in black, that wouldn't look to out of place, I would suggest doing that in addition.

Sponsored Links
A flat I once owned had bare wooden stairs (just stained and varnished) the leading edge always received the most wear. If you can find something like a metal edge protector in black, that wouldn't look to out of place, I would suggest doing that in addition.
That's not a bad shout my friend..

I will definitely look to do something like this.. Thanks for the tip :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back