What paint for timber garage doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
`Hi there,
Have double doors at the back of my garage.
They are solid timber.
When i got them they had ben painted white and looked well but over a year or so the paint started cracking and coming off in big chunks and really looks awful.
I have scraped the paint off one of the doors and wil get the other one finished during the week.
Id like to repaint these white but my quetion is how to avoid this happening again??...was it poor preparation or crap paint that caused the issue?
By the looks of the doors id say the paint was applied over a woodstain...this have cause dhte prob?
Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
Yeah does sound like a quick whiteover onto woodstain. As it's coming off easy I would probably go for Sadolin 'Superdec' (not to be confused with decking paint) see here
Or you can go the other way if you feel you want a taditional gloss finish. I would use Dulux Weathershield Exterior primer/undrcoat and gloss..The primer is for Bare wood only.. so in your case on woodstain I would use 2 coats of undercoat and one or two coats of gloss.

Good luck [/url]

Cheers thanks for the tips...but do i need to sand the doors first?
Cheers
Marty

Cheers thanks for the tips...but do i need to sand the doors first?
Cheers
Marty

Well yes, you still need to prepare i.e. rub down, clean etc. you will find prep guidlines in the pdf files on the sadolin site.

good luck

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot..ive a good orbital sander should make short work of em!!
Tahnks again
Marty

Hi again,
have my doors almost completely stripped now and am looking @ the superdec paint.
I am 100% sure that the paint was put on over an old stain or a varnish.

Can i put the superdec on over this or do i need to rub down etc and can the superdec be used as an undercoat aswell?
Cheers,
Marty.

Hi, Is the varnish/woodstain really glossy?. I would give it a rub over with say 120 grit but not neccesary to rub down to bare wood. Just make sure all the surface is even, touch prime any bare areas with the superdec. The superdec is used a lot where the old woodstain coatings have deteriorated so much that an opaque finish is best, Superdec is ok to go over old paint and woodstains as well as a complete system on bare wood. In your case two coats will be needed. check out the sadolin interactive specification for more info. http://www.sadolin.co.uk/professional/products/specguide/index.php

Have fun ;)

Cheers,
Most of it was really glossy...spent 2 evenings scraping the paint off and 2 evenings with the sander..so have got down to the bare wood pretty much everywhere...i think the doors are teak or mahogany...quite a dark wood anyway.
After all my work im reluctant to paint the wood!! but not all of the stain/varnish came off evenly so i dont think it would look great staned again.
Was looking for that paint today coldnt find it in my local place but they have under and overcoats for exterior wood(dulux i think)
That be Ok?
Cheers
Marty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back