What paint for windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have these windows that are losing their paint. Doesn’t look like they even had undercoat, but the hardwood is in good condition and no rot.

I will strip and sand where needed but just go over the top where it isn’t…. So my question is what paint? And undercoat? A rubberised modern window paint or other?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7552.jpeg
    IMG_7552.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7553.jpeg
    IMG_7553.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
I think sandtex is the only one doing 10 year oil paints now. If you have the time and patience use an oil primer. These things take a very long time to dry and cure, but give good durability. The interior side of the window is easy to access, so I use water paint to prevent yellowing with the durability being a secondary consideration. I use water primer outside, and it's passable.

That is really helpful. So water based inside and oil based outside. Would I need to strip all the “good” paint of can I just focus on the stuff peeling off the wood and then “go over” the good paint with the new primer & finish to match?

Sponsored Links
Well stuck on paint is good paint. But they don't look good under new paint. It's a personal preference. I rate function and longevity over looks and willing to overlook the ugliness - it's also less work. 10 year oil paint is better at hiding the old paint than water paint, because it will flow and smooth by itself over time.

Paint is not just for looks. It's there to protect and save you money on having to replace the window. Ugliness of hidden old paint can be corrected by sanding down the new paint after it is fully cured (I would give it months for 10 year oil paint) then applying a new coat. Repeating this will gradually eliminate the low spots. I never do this except as part of spot repairs I have to do. At regular stand off distances, imperfections are less noticeable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back