What paperwork should I expect from a bathroom fit out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had two bathrooms refitted, which has included new spotlights being fitted, an in-line fan with a new on/off switch on the landing and an electric shower wired onto an existing isolator switch in the airing cupboard. Should I expect any paperwork from the bathroom company who have employed the electrician, and if so what paperwork?

Also, the upstairs lighting circuit is currently fed off the non RCD side of the board, and is via and MCB and not an RCBO. Should that have been upgraded to RCBO, or is it acceptable to say it complies with the regs at the time of the original installation?

Sponsored Links
At least a minor works certificate. And in mind of the amount of work done likely a compliance certificate as well. Exactly where and how could change things slightly, but in the main electric showers state must be protected by a RCD but the regulations have changed up to amendment 3 you had to comply with manufacturers requirements but that has been done away with. I would expect some thing in that list of work would mean a RCD would be fitted however without careful viewing it would be hard to say it had to be fitted.

There is a big difference between what I would do and what I would insist others returned to rectify. England, Wales, and Scotland all have slightly different rules. Do give location.

I would RCD protect and I would use an electrical installation certificate rather than minor works for so much work. In Wales it would require a completion or compliance certificate in England you need the tape measure.

It's in England. I was really thinking about what I may need to prove that it had been done by a Part P qualified electrician, as otherwise who's to know that I didn't do the work myself?

This is Part P:

screenshot_134.jpg

it's not a qualification.

You should have an electrical installation certificate of some sort from the person who did the work to certify that it complied with the Wiring Regulations, as by doing that it will have complied with Part P.

Sponsored Links
The completion or compliance certificate are issued by the LABC or scheme provider but are only required for new work within a designated area of the bathroom, for fitting a consumer units, and new circuits likely you do need one but can't be 100% on this. The other certificates be it minor works or installation can be completed by anyone with the skill and tools and blanks can be down loaded free of charge from IET web site. Clearly anyone could sign one of these they don't prove work done by an electrician.

I had some work done in my mothers house by social services and I have failed in spite of asking to get copies. They are issued to person ordering the work not the person living in the house so very possible the home owner does not have all paper work relating to the house.

The rules mean that when a builder does work and sub contracts an electrician the paper work goes to the builder. There are rules to time from completing to raising paper work and passing it to the client from memory 14 days. But this is to person ordering work not the owner, it has been known for builders to hold onto paperwork until payment the 14 day rule was to stop this but the regulations are poorly written so just does not work.

I was under the impression the council got copies but I am told the scheme members register the work on line so the council do not get copies which again seems strange as there is no link between completion or compliance certificates and the paperwork showing what was done. So get any work done correctly and there is little to show what the legal paperwork refers to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back