What paperwork should I get?

AP3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I had some work done by an electrician to commission an existing buried SWA cable to provide a 20 amp supply for a hot tub.

Do do this he changed the existing MCB in the main CU to 20 amp which feeds a small CU in the garage, where he connected a new 20 amp MCB, then ran T&E to the terminated SWA in the garage, and put an isolator on the other end in the garage.

All meggered and tested fine.

BUT, he hasn't given me any paperwork! He said he could if the hot tub company requested it, but it would cost extra as it involves more testing. Should I have been given something? Part P cert, or even just minor works?

I'm not sure if this is notifiable as no new circuit was taken from the main CU, and the garden is no longer notifiable.

Should I have received anything more than an invoice?!

Cheers,
AP

Sponsored Links
BS 7671 is not law, but it can be used in a court of law, and it would require a minor works certificate for changes in garage supply and an installation certificate for the new supply to the hot tub. As to legal part since a new circuit i.e. a MCB has been fitted for new supply, he will need to supply either a compliance certificate if a scheme member or a completion certificate if not a scheme member.

There is a point that for some reason fitting a fused connection unit (FCU) is not considered as a new circuit, using the BS 7671 definitions
Circuit. An assembly of electrical equipment supplied from the same origin and protected against overcurrent by the same protective device(s).
so technically fitting a FCU is a new circuit, but it seems rarely is it considered as such, so as to if a sub CU is considered as forming a new circuit could be debated, so it would be for the LABC to decide, but he should still issue at least a minor works with all the test results.

I am sure if you said I am not happy I will be contacting either your scheme provider or LABC he would back down, but I would not contact the LABC I did when I took over a job, and it caused a lot of grief as a result, it being pointed out it was up to me to have made sure they had been informed, it caused the builder to stop trading so got nothing from them, so threat yes, but don't do it.

Thanks for the reply!

He's a Stroma member, so not a "cowboy". Maybe concerned as he didn't bury the SWA himself?

I've seen posts saying that a circuit is anything that starts at the main CU, but still I'd have wanted some paperwork. I haven't paid yet, so I'll see what he says...

Sponsored Links
There is no logic to a 20A circuit breaker feeding a 20A circuit breaker.

I thought that was a bit odd too. The garage CU had a 20 amp for the sockets, and 2 x 6 amps for lighting. Adding on the extra 20 amp, I'd have thought 40 amp in the house CU maybe? (I'm not an electrician though!).

The garage is connected with (I believe) 6mm2 SWA.

He can’t certify work he didn’t install. The cert has him certify that he did the design, installation and test of the circuit. How does he know you buried the cable in accordance with regulations? All he could do is provide a report on what he can see. Pay the invoice, be happy with your human soup maker.

He can’t certify work he didn’t install. The cert has him certify that he did the design, installation and test of the circuit. How does he know you buried the cable in accordance with regulations? All he could do is provide a report on what he can see. Pay the invoice, be happy with your human soup maker.

I didn't bury the cable, it was done by an electrician for the former owner. Ironically, I do have paperwork for that, and it's titled "Part P Certificate"!

The paperwork should be provided by the person in control of the work, he does not need to do it himself, but he does need to be in control, so an electrician can use an electricians mate to do some of the work, or an apprentice, but he retains control.

I do see the problem where a job is taken over, I had it when an electrician ran off, and I entered on the paperwork the limitations to work done, and what had be completed by the other electrician and this was accepted by the LABC and a completion certificate was issued.

To be frank I expected them to refuse it, and to want to investigate what had been done, but it was accepted without a single comment.

Ironically, I do have paperwork for that, and it's titled "Part P Certificate"!
I’d be interested to see that!
The building regulations certificate is the one that is issued when a notifiable electrical job has been notified. You get a completion certification like this
You’ll notice the absence of P anything in this.
It says the work complies with parts4&7 of BR. Part 4 and 7 really relate to good construction, materials and workmanship. Implying that by completion, the Building Regulations (that’s all of them!) have been complied with.

Last edited:
Happy to share! I have quite a few of them!

The house was rewired by the previous owners.

Attachments

• PartP.JPG
    PartP.JPG
    433.7 KB · Views: 233
Ahh. Ok. It may say Part P on the top. Maybe that is Fluke’s attempt at making things clear for the general public.

What that document is (and it is written there) is that the electrician certified that the electrical work complies with BS7671 (the Wiring Regulations). It doesn’t certify that the work complies with any Building Regulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back