what plug is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. Does anyone know what kind of plug this is?

My guess some kind of lower voltage, obsolete electricity plug?

Sponsored Links
hi and thanks for the reply.

so is that some old type of plug then? I have never seen any appliance with a socket that can plug into this one.

so is that some old type of plug then? I have never seen any appliance with a socket that can plug into this one.

Mk I do believe still sell them and the plugs that go with them, they are 5A rated and are primerily used for table lamps etc

Sponsored Links
That's because it's only for use with table/floor lamps not appliances up to 13 A like normal plugs.

Your sockets will probably be on the lighting circuit and so if you try to draw more than 5/6 A the circuit breaker will trip

SB

Hi folks. Does anyone know what kind of plug this is?
My guess some kind of lower voltage, obsolete electricity plug?

Looks like a socket to me. :LOL:
Still available for lighting circuits and to receive "plugs" for table lamps.

Regards

Mk I do believe still sell them and the plugs that go with them, they are 5A rated and are primerily used for table lamps etc

Just MK? I think you will find all the manufacturers do them TBH ;)

It comming back in fashion to have the table lamps switched at the door.

hmm, love that wall paper.. still it goes with the accessories!

SB (mimimalist)

Need one of these rocky:

0251417_m.jpg

Back on subject, Those sockets are often controlled by a switch by the door. Just an observation, but yours looks fairly old (80's?)

sparkybird wrote: "That's because it's only for use with table/floor lamps not appliances up to 13 A like normal plugs. Your sockets will probably be on the lighting circuit and so if you try to draw more than 5/6 A the circuit breaker will trip".

When I was a student in the late 60's all the rooms in the Halls of Residence (built in the early 60's) had 2 of these jobbies fitted (there were no other sockets in the rooms). One socket accommodated the supplied table lamp, the other was free (presumably for the lamp if room layout different). The cleaner's socket (13A) was in the communal hall outside the rooms.

Anyway, I had plugged into the spare, a Marshall 100W guitar amplifier stack (a valve jobby), a Danset (spelling?) record deck (for playing along to) both wired-up through a single plug (goodness knows how I got the cables in!). Cranked up deafening volume with the deck blasting away never caused a failure of the supply. Pre circuit breaker days I suppose. Ah, happy, care-free days :D

Yeah, my Dad told me a similar story, looks like quite a lot of old halls back in the day had that arrangement.

He did a roaring trade in round-pin plug tops wired to square pin trailing outlets!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back