what power router for kitchen worktops?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get a router to do some joints on laminate worktops, and also a couple of other minor projects I have. The worktops will be the most demanding.

What is the minimum wattage I can get away with for the worktop joints? I dont want to spend too much, as I wont be using on a regular basis, I just need it for these tasks.

Seems that Bosch 1400w can be had for around £80, but not sure if that is enough power.

Otherwise, silverline do a 2050W one for around £70, which nothing else can get close to on price. But, it gets poor reviews. Then again I only want to use it a few times so dont want to pay a lot for something OTT. The silverline also comes with a 3 years warranty - so can it really be that bad?

Any other ideas, or suggestions? Has anyone had experience of these?
P.S. would probably get a silverline worktop jig at same time - again, has anyone any experience of these, or other recommendations at low price. Will be used for 2 joints, nothing more, so doesn't need to last.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
2000w really, you might get away with 1400w but it needs to be 1/2" shank

i'd recommend you pay a kitchen fitter to do it, it takes a bit of experience to get a good joint and it will cost you less than buying the tools

as said either get a kitchen fitter in to do it, or hire router n jig. router power wise, ya want a MIN. 1600 watt fitted with a 12.5mm straight bit and a 30mm guide bush fitted to the router

if you are going to use your router for a lot off projects then the router is the cheapest part off the kit the cutters will be another £200 along with clamps mats strait edges router tables
a router with £50 worth off assorted cheap cutters wont do a lot

as said above at least 1600w preferably 1800w plus

i have several routers 3 x18v 400w/600w/900w all in 1/4 inch 1150w and 1850w in half inch i wouldnt use the 1150 as it would need so many passes it would burn the cutters out twice as quick
the rule off thumb is half the router cutter shaft in depth per pass but with a 1150w it will be overloaded at 6.35mm so would aim at say 4.5mm or 10 passes on a worktop

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. There is some further info I should provide, but didn't initially, as I didn't want to influence your advice.

I did my current kitchen with a silverline router and jig. It went OK, and I was more than happy with the end result. Easily better than the other examples I've seen on display kitchens at the sheds.

So I know I can do it. The router in question actually broke shortly afterwards after I clipped my metal workbench with it. Totally my fault, but I would have thought the router would have been OK with that and not shattered instantly?

I was all set to buy another silverline router and jog and use it, but reading the reviews put me off. I dont know if I got lucky, but loads of people saying they simply dont work. As for clamps, the silverline ones were rubbish, but I bought some standard G clamps that did the job.

What's the going rate for two joints on laminate worktops? Maybe it will be cheaper to get someone to do them. While you are on, what is the going rate to fit the whole kitchen (midlands) - U shape layout in a 3*3m kitchen i.e. not very big

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back