what primer to use with mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a terrible damp/mould problem and have totally gutted and replaced my bathroom which crossing my fingers has shown no sign of return of mould so far (about 6 weeks now) and am now in adjoining bedroom wich I have stripped back and replastered in areas where the mould was it has been airing out for 2 weeks so far no sign of mould but I have no idea what I should use as a primer over the new plaster before I put the anti fungal paint which says cannot be used straight onto plaster.. Any advice would be good soeone suggestted acrylic eggshell?! :?:

Sponsored Links
Any advice would be good soeone suggestted acrylic eggshell?! :?:

Think that may have been me your other thread in General DIY :confused: HERE
If so, it was Dulux MouldShield Fungicidal Eggshell which can be used to seal/ mist coat bare plaster as long as it is watered down around 20-25%.

You would normally use a cheap contract matt to mist coat but, IIRC, your mould problem was extreme so you may be better off using the MouldShield to mist.

I agree - with the same problem (in a gym I decorated) I applied Mangers fungicidal wash over whole wall (already mistcoated), (twice), allowed to dry, then zapped worst affectedareas with Zinsser Bin primer (twice) before emulsioning. Bit 'belt and braces', but that was a year ago and it seems to have done the trick.

Have to say however that if the mould is forming because of a continuing source of damp (whether from condensation inside, or penetrating from outside), nothing will stop it in the end - you have to sort out the cause!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back