What pump would you recommend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating pump needs to be replaced.
The one fitted is a WILO SMART PUMP but I'm not sure this was up to the job. My system has 17 rads.
Can anyone suggest what brand, type, spec, pump I should replace it with

Sponsored Links
It has to feed 17 radiators over quite a long run of pipe work and the furthest ones away are not producing the heat they should. The system is balanced and working fine

Sponsored Links
It has to feed 17 radiators over quite a long run of pipe work and the furthest ones away are not producing the heat they should. The system is balanced and working fine

But, if the system was balanced properly, all the radiators would be producing the heat they should.

How do you know that the system is properly balanced?

Did you measure the temperature drop between the flow and return of each radiator and make sure they are the same?

Do you have thermostatic valves on your radiators? If so how did you allow for this when balancing?

The factors which determine the pump size are: (1) the frictional losses (head) in the Index Circuit - this usually is the circuit to the furthest radiator, but not always - it depends on the size of the radiators and pipes in the circuit; and (2) the mass flow rate of the water required to deliver the heat.

There is a more detailed explanation at:

http://www.cda.org.uk/Megab2/build/pub-150-copper-tubes-in-domestic-heating-systems.pdf

Which model Smart pump do you have?

Can't go wrong with either Wilo or Grundfos. As for size it depends on how many storeys, pipe size / lenghts etc . maybe a 15/60 may do it.

D_Hailsham said:
I was going to suggest this, but thought better of it. It is a bit technical for the average DIYer.
He can always ask. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back