What safety goggles that don't steam up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alrite, I am a bad man. I use my angle grinder without safety equipment, save a dust mask. The cuts to the hands don't bother me so there's no problem there but I'm getting sick of flying shrapnel hitting me in the eye. It's not a macho thing, I've bought three different sets of goggles and two of them weren't cheap but they all steam up to the point I can't see when I'm wearing the mask and I'm not willing to go without it.

What do the "chaps" use? What goggles is the ace face wearing today? Do your good deed for the month and save a humble peasants eye sight before it's too late :)

What goggles allow you to still see while working if you have upward venting face masks?

Sponsored Links
well im glad you now seeing sense,only a muppet would put his eye sight at risk by not wearing any kind of eye protection.
i use a few pairs of safty glasses that actually look like sunglasses,dewalt do them at screwfix i like them,i even use a pair in my car as sunglasses as they dont let the light bled in.

Second what gregers says
the glasses type are probably the best bet with a mask ( I'm assuming that you use the disposalable masks). Make sure that you get the ones with side protection built in and you'll be fine. The ones gregers talks about may not be the cheapest but they do look quite cool.

Steamed up glasses if unavoidable really in conjunction with a mask. I am particularly bad when it comes to eye protection. Its just when your stuck into a job its one thing that gets in the way. But I suppose now I'm getting older I should be getting wiser and start using the appropriate PPE!

Sponsored Links
Whatever fashionable eye protection you select, try your local motorcycle shop.
They used to sell bottles of 'demisting solution' you could spray your goggles, glasses or visor with to stop them steaming up.

Try rubbing some good old gob-spit on the inner surface I believe this is what divers do :D

Try rubbing some good old gob-spit on the inner surface I believe this is what divers do :D

Spit works fine for diving masks.

The main reason for your glasses/goggles steaming up is, most masks do not fit well enough around your nose.
When you breathe out the moist air has an easy escape route upwards, and fogs your glasses up.

I third what Gregers said. Dewalt safety shades for about £7 will stop you from blinding yourself.

Only problem with specs is that you will occasionally get bits going in round the side, which can be annoying but much less dangerous than a hot shard of metal to the eyeball.

Plano also do some good polycarb specs which are adjustable right up close to your face.

use safty glasses or lose an eye, simples

You know you're a plonker when bodgeit and scarper are on the other side of the line to you, telling you you're doing it wrong, and everyone else is there with them...

I do have a pair of the open specs, more expensive than the dewalt ones they were too! But they still get steamed, when I got a bit of cash think I'll sign up with burnerman at full face mask pratt PLC

I bought two pairs of these at atrade fair and found them brilliant. www. safe-eyes.co.uk they are fine mesh and work well.

Hope this helps

PS they were a tenner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back