What should I do with these rooms? Group suggestions welcome!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I wonder if the group can help with ideas as I have none.

2 photos below, one with measurements, the other a floor plan for perspective.

This is the back of the house, facing North. The middle room is an old boiler cupboard stripped out and is currently bare. I don't know what to convert it to, so far I've thought about:

• Take some room from bedroom, put into cupboard and convert to small child bedroom
  • Remove wall between bedroom/cupboard to extend as a large en-suite
  • Remove wall from cupboard/hallway to open up area
  • Half cupboard into 2 rooms - one en-suite for bedroom, and other shower room for bathroom
  • Simply use cupboard as an office

The cupboard has electric points, but no light (yet) and I'm expecting to add a window. I'm also thinking of opening the ceiling up and extend height by a meter or so to make it feel slightly larger

View media item 101735
View media item 101734

Sponsored Links
Raising the ceiling is a nice idea, but i think you have to work out your needs before anyone can advise.
What do you want to use the house for, who else will use it, how long will you live there, all this will feed into the design. Then you can worry about raising ceilings and adding Windows.

At the moment, I'm renovating the entire house and this cupboard seems to be a complete wasted area. I would like to get the house into the 4 bedroom bracket for when I decide to sell in the future (maybe 6 months time), but don't want one of these small rooms like others have.

I've started to strip the wallpaper in the room now, and the walls seem pretty good shape, I'm just at a loss and not very creative!

Raising the ceiling is a nice idea, but i think you have to work out your needs before anyone can advise.
What do you want to use the house for, who else will use it, how long will you live there, all this will feed into the design. Then you can worry about raising ceilings and adding Windows.

I'd suggest getting an architect in, their whole job is giving you the result you need even if you have no idea. Cost would need careful negotiation as a really good architect would be very expensive so wouldn't make sense in a small job

Sponsored Links
If you want four beds, I think you’d be best cutting the L (next to cupboard) off that bedroom up to the window and opening the cupboard to create the fourth bed.

Then I’d either knock the toilet and bathroom together to make a family bathroom OR move the toilet into existing bathroom and create a small ensuite in the existing toilet for the front bedroom.

All depends on sizes really. Can you go into loft? Is it high enough to create a room?

I've just finished the little wc :confused:

I've got two loos thankfully, the back bathroom will be the last thing on the top floor to rip out, it's a mess! I'm going to move the light away from zone 1 to zone 2, install a lighting mirror, and as for the shaver socket, it's literally 1.8m from the ground so that might be moved!

The loft, the usable space is 8.5m x 4.5m x 1.9m high, an incredible amount of space, but the trusses are the 'W' type and finance is low, I'd love to convert that. I've only got 2 big wooden joists running across with the small plasterboard joists at 40cm apart

Looking at the cupboard, it used to house an old hot water tank with two little cupboards, all that's been removed now and the area is currently 2.7sqm, that 'L' shape bit is 2.8sqm so that cupboard could be opened up to be 5.5sqm, or... I install a wall again to cut off that 'L' and use that bit as a walk in wardrobe for the cupboard? It could be used as a small office? I just don't know. At the moment it's being used as a dumping ground for my tools. Above the cupboard was where the black water tank used to be (the system used to be gravity fed), the void there is about 1m high, so I could give it a feeling of head height, I was thinking of putting in a sun light tube or a velux, along with a window, but the building control fees are ridiculous here

If you want four beds, I think you’d be best cutting the L (next to cupboard) off that bedroom up to the window and opening the cupboard to create the fourth bed.

Then I’d either knock the toilet and bathroom together to make a family bathroom OR move the toilet into existing bathroom and create a small ensuite in the existing toilet for the front bedroom.

All depends on sizes really. Can you go into loft? Is it high enough to create a room?

I did actually get one, the guy came in, took one look at it and said turn it into a cupboard o_O

I've got so much storage space I could host a small family in it all, I just don't like wasting space :mrgreen:

I'd suggest getting an architect in, their whole job is giving you the result you need even if you have no idea. Cost would need careful negotiation as a really good architect would be very expensive so wouldn't make sense in a small job

but the building control fees are ridiculous here

That can be done on a building notice can’t it? That should be cheaper.

It could be used as a small office?

Whether you convert to an office or bedroom I think your biggest problem will be putting a window in to the room. It will most likely be required if a bedroom for fire escape purposes.

I’d say make it big enough to be a bedroom as most people will be wanting that rather than an upstairs office (from a saleability point of view).

Excuse the stupidity, what is a building notice? I've never heard of that?

That can be done on a building notice can’t it? That should be cheaper.

I've had a local company take a look, by the looks of it, I can get a 1.8m or 1.6m x 60cm or 80cm in there no problem, the window would then sit in the middle of the house overlooking the back garden

I've had a look at the walls this morning (non load bearing), typical concrete blocks for this vintage, never easy is it :whistle:

What do you think about the door location, it's almost opposite the stairs (just to the right of them), that's the bit that has thrown me

Whether you convert to an office or bedroom I think your biggest problem will be putting a window in to the room. It will most likely be required if a bedroom for fire escape purposes.

I’d say make it big enough to be a bedroom as most people will be wanting that rather than an upstairs office (from a saleability point of view).

A building notice is your intent to do work on the property without having to submit full detailed plans. This puts the responsibility with you for ensuring the building regs are met and that you know what you’re doing. The notice will depend on what work you’re doing so you would need to liaise with your council about this.

The biggest saving would be in not having to use an architect for the plans etc. However, like John said, if you’re not sure how or what to do, it might be best to have proper plans drawn up.

Work out what you want first, otherwise you’ll end up doing what I’ve done, decorate rooms, fit a kitchen, then rip it down because you finally decided to do the extension !! I’ve decorated three bedrooms, one dining room and a kitchen and then decided to do an extension which involves altering all mentioned rooms...doh!!! A lot to be said for planning!

What do you mean about the door being opposite the stairs? That’s fairly common I’d imagine, my house has a bedroom door opposite the stairs.

I didn't know that - thankyou!

I've been looking at the room again, and now thinking, what about a tiny cinema/media room that is accessible through the back bedroom

In terms of your stairs, doesn't it feel awkward when the occupant opens the door and you're walking up the stairs? All my doors are off from the landing

A building notice is your intent to do work on the property without having to submit full detailed plans. This puts the responsibility with you for ensuring the building regs are met and that you know what you’re doing. The notice will depend on what work you’re doing so you would need to liaise with your council about this.

In terms of your stairs, doesn't it feel awkward when the occupant opens the door and you're walking up the stairs?

Not to me, but it’s whatever you feel comfortable with, you’ve gotta live there not me. It’s easier for moving furniture in and out the room too!

I've been looking at the room again, and now thinking, what about a tiny cinema/media room that is accessible through the back bedroom

If you’re going to stay and make use of it for a few years, then probably a good idea. Not sure potential buyers would go for it though.

I think overall it’ll probably be better to leave the bedrooms as they are and use the cupboard space as an ensuite/cupboard as you originally pondered.

What would you look for in a house if you was buying it? Model it on that if you’re looking to sell.

Apologies for the late reply, I've been up to my eyes with a head plumbing in a toilet and plastering walls :confused:

I've had a look at what others have done around by me, and it's all pretty basic 'box house' style, nothing to differentiate one from another. Someone has moved the bathroom to the middle and made the bathroom as a 4th bedroom, looks crazy to me!

Next week I'll be emptying the cupboard and have a sit in there looking at a blank wall, get a feel for it, worse case I'll turn it into a walk in wardrobe and do some funky lighting in there

Not to me, but it’s whatever you feel comfortable with, you’ve gotta live there not me. It’s easier for moving furniture in and out the room too!

If you’re going to stay and make use of it for a few years, then probably a good idea. Not sure potential buyers would go for it though.

I think overall it’ll probably be better to leave the bedrooms as they are and use the cupboard space as an ensuite/cupboard as you originally pondered.

What would you look for in a house if you was buying it? Model it on that if you’re looking to sell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back