What signs to look for that a roof needs retiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a 1930s bungalow that has what look to me like concrete tiles .I noticed a great deal of damp on a ceiling so I got a roofer in to do a repair .He noticed there were badly patched up holes in the felt looking from the loft and which were adjacent to where a dormer window sits in the roof.
When he started the job he noticed the flat roof of the dormer and been refelted but where the felt met the pitched roof it wasnt finished correctly .He took a sizeable area of tiles o and battens off,inserted a 1.5x1 mtr(approx) piece of felt and made good the area ensuring there was an overlap of felt falling onto the flat roof to ensure water drains down the flat roof and mastic had also been put on the underside.Despite calling me "mate"( i dont know him from adam) I couldnt fault his attitude as he insisted on first showing what needed to be done and then,what he had done.All looked good to me.
One thing that bothered me somewhat was his claim that the roof needed retiling as the existing tiles , in his opinion,look somewhat thin and grey.He reckoned they were the original tiles but if i am not wrong clay tiles were the standard type used in the 30s, and not concrete.
I am just wondering what signs to look for that should tell me is right.His rough off the top of his head estimate for a retile on a 8x 6.5 bungalow at 5k didnt seem outrageous but obviously I wont have it done unless essential.

Sponsored Links
What do the other bungalows in your area look like.. if similar in condition then theres a fair bet they are the original tiles (sometimes asbestos cement on 1930s..) ..
Tell tale signs that a roof needs some serious overhall are leaks, slipping tiles, sagging ridge, cracked and coroded tiles, weak mortar, all of your neighbours have replaced theirs.. etc etc..
Leave it too long and you may need to replace the roof structure as well which can quadruple the cost.. but with good maintenance the roof could last many more years..

Maybe take some photos and get some "opinions" from here

If you`re in East Sussex or near the border in West . I can recommend a good roofer that I`ve used .

If you`re in East Sussex or near the border in West . I can recommend a good roofer that I`ve used .

live in East Preston which iks between Worthing and Littlehampton. Probably too far for him/

Sponsored Links
What do the other bungalows in your area look like.. if similar in condition then theres a fair bet they are the original tiles (sometimes asbestos cement on 1930s..) ..
Tell tale signs that a roof needs some serious overhall are leaks, slipping tiles, sagging ridge, cracked and coroded tiles, weak mortar, all of your neighbours have replaced theirs.. etc etc..
Leave it too long and you may need to replace the roof structure as well which can quadruple the cost.. but with good maintenance the roof could last many more years..

Maybe take some photos and get some "opinions" from here

its so hard to tell but they dont look like asbestos to me they are pinky brown in colour and apparently break quite easily.Roofer did say he thought there were signs the battens were wearing too.and that the roof line sags a little although i couldnt really tell.Some ridge tiles have been replaced and maybe a few have slipped.I will take some photos when the weather is better

As always a picture would be usefull.
The tiles could easily be concrete,Asbestos slate or clay..pic will tell.

I finally managed to take three photos of the section of the roof that concerns me most but i dont know how to include them onto this thread

As always a picture would be usefull.
The tiles could easily be concrete,Asbestos slate or clay..pic will tell.

i have been informed by a builder that the tiles are Redlands concrete,Although not a roofer himself and from where he was standing on the ground , he couldnt see much wrong except a few misplaced and a few broken tiles which could easily be replaced.Some of the tiles have been fanned out , presumably because the original roofer was running out of them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back