What sixe of code 4 lead do i require?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to undertake a self build conservatory and have plastic facia on the back of the house where the conservatory will be.

What size wilol i require when putting the lead from the house to the conservatory. I was thinking 150mm code 4 is sufficient or do i need to go bigger ?

Sponsored Links
a lot of lead flashing abutment situations require a 150mm upstand, so in in almost all cases 150mm is not enough.

that said, i have not seen the location of the conservatory-to-house connection.
all that you have described is that you have plastic fascia and the connie is going round the back.

min code 4 with 150mm upsatnd and (150mm cover flashing if required) can ypu remove plastic fascia and dress lead behind?

Yes i was going to cut into facia about an inch up from where the conservatory will meet. suppose my option is to go for the next size up ?

Sponsored Links
dont cut the fascia. to be honest the 150mm upstand is to protect against the splash up from the roof line when it rains. (same princile at ground level dpc) the pvs fascia will most likely afford the protection to the facing brickwork against that. flash up to the u/s and seal and it will be fine.

Think i have got that but my problem is it is an edwardian conservatory so roof is pitched. My plastic facia is horizontal. How can i stop water going behind the upstand if it is not cut in to the facia somehow?

so is it only at the ridge where it meets the fascia? is there a soffit?

you need stepped lead flashing down the raking abutment
assuming brickwork behind. the mortar joint should be raked 25mm and the lead turned in and held in with lead wedges.

have a look this http://www.leadsheetassociation.org.uk/html/1403.html the upstand turned up 75mm then place another piece over the top. diagram c. the cover piece is turned up into the brickwork.

AND copy and paste this into your web browser it's safe i promise. shows you stepped lead flashing and cover flashing. its tiles here but the principle is the same.

http://boxstr.com/view/full/3148615_ggm68

I hope this helps you. if not sketch out the problem and i'll draw you a detail if you like.

Cheers for the response much help. Only problem i think i need to get my head around is removing the facia and then getting it back so all looks ok after lead inserted.

Hi With out photo it is difficult to identify method. But here go's The sheet lead flashing can be fitted in advance of the structure being erected, using a pinch bar ease the fascia of at the bottom edge, allowing the flashing to be slide up between fascia and wall. Temp fix and once structure is finished fix lead straps and dress lead flashing down on glass. If you need to cut a chase in wall to accommodate lead cover flashing (Stepped or straight) you may find it easier to use Say 150mm bent at 90 Degrees ( 30 mm in wall) and another say 240mm bent at roof pitch 80 mm up under previous and the rest over glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back