what size battons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on replacing the felt with membrane on my kitchen roof. It is approx 4*3m and is battoned with 19*38mm battons. The tiles are double roman clay tiles. Rafter spacing is about 40cm.

The kitchen is a lean to at the back of the house and is joined to next door as a continious roof.

Should I replace the battons with 25*38 or stick with 19*38 which would be the same as next door. Would the additional 6mm cause an issue where my tiles meet the neighbours tiles?

Any thoughts would be gladly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thats a slate baton 19x38 and if you change now without your neighbour being involved then your tiles will not blend very well at the party wall.

25mm x 38 mm will be ok over 400mm centres. As said the increase in depth will be ok. To prevent a modest of rocking you could always plane a slight chamfer to the batten over a distance of say 300mm.

Or you could pack up the neighbours battens slightly.

Shane's been too used to working on crappy 600mm centres. :p

Sponsored Links
Job done. I used 25mm battons and discovered that most* of my neighbours were 25 too.

*The bottom row was 19mm, so might have been a different age to the rest of the roof.

Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back