What size boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone can help. I had a new boiler installed 15months ago by British Gas. They installed a Baxi 15KW boiler. My house is an old 1894 build, 6 bedrrom,3 bathrroms over thress floors, Yesterday the boiler wouldnt work so i go an independant fitter out to repair as my warranty with BG was only for 12months. He advised that the boiler installed wasnt effiecent enough for this size house. He said that i should of had fitted a 30KW boiler.. is he correct and do you think BG have installed the wrong boiler?
If they have i want them to change it, i feel i have been miss sold a product.

Hope to can help.

Karen

Sponsored Links
If your home has been warm enough for the last 15 months and your HW requirements have been met then you dont need a bigger boiler, even if your boiler was undersized it would not be the cause of your breakdown

Hi,

Thanks for responding. My radiators take at least 30min to warm up and it take approx 4 to 5 hrs to get the room temp from 15 to 19.,, is that normal ?.

Sponsored Links
15kw does seem undersized for your property, what we don't know is the level of insulation you have.

A rough guide is 1.5kw per radiator. If you have 10 radiators about 15kw will be ok.

Personnally would have gone larger.

Hi,

Thanks all again...

I have 14 rads in the house. I do have loft insulation, but nothing in the walls as they are solid.

Use the calculator in an earlier link and you will find out what size boiler you should have.

Until you do that, we are just guessing. :(

Hi,

OK, i went through the Baxi calculation and it said heat required 259.3 KW,
does that help? :confused:

2593 Kw are you sure bolshy, that's a big house & boiler req :LOL:

You definately do not need 259.3 KW unless you live in Buckingham palace

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back