What size cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 35m cable length radial circuit from the RCD side of the CU to a kennel in the back garden with 2 double sockets at the end.

I want to connect a lamp post to this supply (100w bulb max) preferably by plugging the lamp into a socket through one of those remote sockets.

When calculating cable sizes should the cable going to the lamp be the same size as the main 35m cable or does it only have to be calculated for the current that the 100w lamp would use?

Sponsored Links
It has to be no smaller than what can be protected by the plugtop fuse, of course..

BTW - you do know that this is notifiable? The fact that the lamp post is plugged in doesn't make it non-notifiable, should you care. What type of cable do you plan to use? Where will it run on its way from the post to the socket, and how will it be mechanically protected?

Finally - kennel - dogs - lamp posts... Make sure it's suitably I Pee rated..... :LOL:

It has to be no smaller than what can be protected by the plugtop fuse, of course..

BTW - you do know that this is notifiable? The fact that the lamp post is plugged in doesn't make it non-notifiable, should you care. What type of cable do you plan to use? Where will it run on its way from the post to the socket, and how will it be mechanically protected?

Finally - kennel - dogs - lamp posts... Make sure it's suitably I Pee rated..... :LOL:

:LOL: Very funny. Should have said shed instead of kennel.

I thought it probably would be notifiable as soon as you start laying cables in the garden.

I intend to use SWA underneath a patio that I have yet to lay and was thinking of connecting this to flex for the plug using a junction box.

It's obviously protected at the RCD side of the CU but I presume from your question that I am going to have to have further protection? If so I can fit an RCD socket instead of the normal ones already present.

So 1.5mm SWA will be OK then? Is this the right way to go or any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I thought it probably would be notifiable as soon as you start laying cables in the garden.
Basically...

I intend to use SWA underneath a patio that I have yet to lay and was thinking of connecting this to flex for the plug using a junction box.
I'm starting to lose the plot - you've got armoured cable coming out of the lamp post, and this will run underground to the shed where you've got 2 double sockets? How are they supplied? Is there a CU in the shed? Joining the SWA to flex so you can plug it in is not the neatest idea.

It's obviously protected at the RCD side of the CU but I presume from your question that I am going to have to have further protection? If so I can fit an RCD socket instead of the normal ones already present.
No point to a 2nd RCD, and I didn't suggest that :?:

So 1.5mm SWA will be OK then? Is this the right way to go or any suggestions?
It'll be fine for a 100W lamp. But take it to an FCU on the socket circuit, or into the shed CU if there is one.

I'm starting to lose the plot - you've got armoured cable coming out of the lamp post, and this will run underground to the shed where you've got 2 double sockets? How are they supplied? Is there a CU in the shed? Joining the SWA to flex so you can plug it in is not the neatest idea.

No, the lampost would have flex but I'm obviously going to have to run SWA underneath the patio. There's no CU in the shed (it is actually a very large kennel). The two sockets are supplied from the RCD CU in the house via T&E to a junction box where it is connected to the SWA to go underground to the kennel.

OK, so joining SWA to flex for a plug is not the way to go. I could just use a normal weatherproof lightswitch then near the lamp?

No point to a 2nd RCD, and I didn't suggest that :?:
No, I know you didn't suggest that, I presumed incorrectly.

It'll be fine for a 100W lamp. But take it to an FCU on the socket circuit, or into the shed CU if there is one.
OK, noted. Thanks.

No, the lampost would have flex but I'm obviously going to have to run SWA underneath the patio.
Is there room inside the post for box to terminate the SWA in and join to the flex?

There's no CU in the shed (it is actually a very large kennel). The two sockets are supplied from the RCD CU in the house via T&E to a junction box where it is connected to the SWA to go underground to the kennel.

OK, so joining SWA to flex for a plug is not the way to go. I could just use a normal weatherproof lightswitch then near the lamp?
Where do you want to switch the light from?

Is there room inside the post for box to terminate the SWA in and join to the flex?
Don't know I haven't bought one yet but I get the idea, I'll leave plenty of cable to give myself that option.

Where do you want to switch the light from?
Just somewhere near the patio. I think I've sorted that though. If I use a switched FCU then I can just turn it on and off from there.[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back