What size combi do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm new round here!

My combi boiler is giving up the ghost and I haven't a clue what power it's replacement should be. Is there a simple way to calculate this? Do I just worry about kW and l/min or BTU as well? If so, what's BTU?

Usage is regular for a small family. House is an Edwardian end of terrace, 3 beds, bath, lounge, dining room, kitchen, hallway - around 8 radiators in all, some large, some small.

Help!

Sponsored Links
What is your present boiler? How big is it? Why not get one that size?

if you want a combi and need a boiler which will run them rads and more if yo wish, with pumped hot water, you cant go past a baxi 105.

they are the best you can get, i fit and repair so many boilers a year believe me i know, baxi 105 is by far the best.

send me the points LOL :D

Btu = British Thermal Underwear. Amount of energy required to heat one lb of water by 1º fahrenheit.
Baxi 105 will do nicely.
Halstead Ace High is £e$$ dosh and a tad more HW. Haven't given me any trouble, but not the quickest to fit.
Ariston 27 or is it 28 kW is ok too and about the smallest.

A condensing boiler will use less gas - Ideal Isar in reasonably reliable now, or Vaillant Ecomax, at a price.

Sorry that should have been B T Units.. 1kW = 3412 Btu/hour.

Sponsored Links
I had a chat with the nice people at Discountedheatingsupplies.com and they reckon a Worcester 28i Junior will be suitable. Any views?

Worcester is a dirty word for me. Love repairing them (as they breakdown often) but would NEVER specify one. Not an engineer friendly boiler. Another I would give a wide berth is the Ravenheat.

A better boiler would be the one that allows good access to all parts, spares are reasonable and backup good. As far as I am concerened, Vokera fits the bill. Try calling them on their technical helpline. Major players like Vaillant, Baxi Potterton and Worcester could learn something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back