What size hot tank is required for a mixer shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I fit a mixer shower, how big a hot water tank do I require for it not to run out half way through?

I know it depends on how long I shower for but I have a 110 litre hot water tank and I don't know if it is big enough.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the flow rate through the shower, the recovery rate of the cylinder (how long it takes to re-heat), how hot you like your shower, how hot the hot water is and how cold the cold water is.

Ignoring the recovery rate for a moment, the hot cylinder only heats as far down as the bottom primary connection - let's say 80 litres of hot water. If the hot water is at 60 degrees, and the cold is at 10 degrees, equal volumes of hot and cold will give 160 litres of water at 35 degrees.
If the shower delivers 10 litres of water per minute, that will last 16 minutes.

If the recovery time of the cylinder is, say, 40 minutes, the water won't reheat as fast as you use it, but you might get another 5 minutes before running out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back