WHAT SIZE POND PUMP DO I BUY CAN ANYONE PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just installed our first pond (looking really good) its a preformed one and holds about 80 gallons. Now, I am looking to buy a pump in order to have a little spinkle in the middle but would also like it have a filter, but now the filters which you have to have outside the pond and hide, just a basic filter would do fine. I am finding several of these seem suitable in the wording but then I see things like...
Height Flow
Max Flow
2000lts/440Gals
what does all this mean. Does it mean it only suitable for a pond which holds 440 gallons. Can anyone explain. I am only a beginner so dont be too harsh. I am planning on just a couple of goldfish and some plants. Your help would really be appreciated. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
If you just wan't a fountain spray with no fish, I would use a 1/4 hp submersable from the plumbing dept of your local outlet .
This will easly pump 100 gal. per hr. and is a lot cheaper than a pump from your garden center.
If it is to strong, on the outlet attach a short plastic pipe with 3or4 1/4 inch dia holes to reduce pressure to your sprayer.

If you just wan't a fountain spray with no fish, I would use a 1/4 hp submersable from the plumbing dept of your local outlet .
This will easly pump 100 gal. per hr. and is a lot cheaper than a pump from your garden center.
If it is to strong, on the outlet attach a short plastic pipe with 3or4 1/4 inch dia holes to reduce pressure to your sprayer.

Sorry, Although what you have said will work, its bad advice.

you may want to read this

a bit long winded, but true

Sponsored Links
Well Crazycanuck that is the most pathetic answer I have heard in my life do think I am 5. Thank you Breezer I did look at what said but I still dont understand. If my pond hold 80 gallons does that mean the maximum flow is 80 gallons. This is all I am refering to when I look at them on the internet and I dont understand how work out my maximum flow. I dont mind having to buy a good fountain pump thing with a bit of a filter but do want to buy the right one and am afraid that I could end up with one much too powerful for my pond. It says on the site you recommeded to buy one a bit more powerful as you always turn it down whereas if its now powerful enough then theres not much you can do. But yet I see so many people selling them because they are too powerful for their own ponds. If that was the case surely they would just turn them down a bit to save having to buy anonther one. I really am confused. can anyone help. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hope you dont think I'm awkward but why would I not find one. I mean my pond is an average preformed pond 6ft 6 x 4ft x 2ft deep. and I think hold 80 gallons or am I wrong? I will just have a couple of goldfish and some suitable plants. I dont want a big filter thing that sits outside pond and dont want waterfall just a little fountain feature with maybe a bit of a filter. So what should I be looking for. Thanks for the fast reply.

most ponds should be turned over once every 3-4 hours, koi ponds its once every 2 hours

as you say your pond is 80 gallons you need a pond pump which can pump 20 GPH (also see note at bottom)

you may not find such a pump, (because they don't make them in to exact pond volumes) but if you find one that is say 25 GPH you can turn it down, but like wise if you find one that is 15 GPH you can not turn it up

filter pumps have no inline "tap" because they are meant to pump solids, a tap will block soon. Sometimes filters will over flow, this is because the outlet is blocked or the filter needs cleaning, its not that the pump is too powerful, it can also be the filter is too small in the first pace.

some people return the water to the pond via just the pond outlet have a look at the bottom left picture here

as you have fish you should have a filter, you can not have "a bit of a filter" since most box filters are based on the small water storage tanks. Some say you can "balance" the pond, but this rarely works 100% of the time, so filter it is then.

The most common type of filter is the box filter, (as mentioned) you can "camouflage" these or just hide them, there is also available a pressurized filter which you can bury most of in the ground.

most box filters can ony return the water by gravity, so that is why most people have a water fall, its not just for decoration, its to return the filtered water.

As pond filters must run 24/7 and you want a small fountain, i would suggest you have 2 pumps, one for the filter and one for the fountain.

you can get an "oversized" fountain pump that will quite happily do both, but the problem is you cant stop the fountain at night, since the pump is running the filter as well, but with 2 pumps you can.

as your pond is 6 x 4 x 2 it can hold up to 229 gallons, not just 80. (but the calculation does not consider and shelves) so i would suggest you look for a pump that can pump around 40-50 GPH

regarding your question:

Height Flow
Max Flow
2000lts/440Gals
what does all this mean.

all pumps have a flow graph (i bet you wish you had not have asked)

they can only pump to a specific height, as the height gets tall er the less water can flow to that height. I found a more detailed explanation here

Max Flow is my next door neighbour, no only kidding, max flow is the maximum flow (amount of water) a pump can pump measured in gallons or litres

2000lts/440 gals

is 2,000 litres (metric) or 440 gallons (imperial)

it just makes it easier for old boys like me, in that i prefer gallons to litres.

(finished)

Thanks Breezer you explained that beautifully. I have now bought and installed a decent fountain and put in one plant. Due to funds at the mo I will have to see how the water goes as time goes on and I add my 2 goldfish and more plants. I suppose if I have to then I will buy a filter box with its own pump. I'm sure I will be back with more problems in the near future. In fact I have now regarding Laburnum trees so start up a fresh post for this. Thanks again.:cool: :LOL: :cool: :LOL: :cool:

Make sure you dont over feed the fish when you put them in, or you'll get algae growing. Pond owners nightmare, certainly one of my biggest annoyances. UV filter does the job nicely, chame it doesnt work on blanketweed!

Pond plants also reduce algae/blanketweed as they fight for the nutrients. Shade as well is good.

Im still trying to find the right balance after a year, but im getting there now!

he will get algae regardless of the fish food, he has no UV and filter, that is to be installed later.

Due to funds at the mo I will have to see how the water goes.................
.................. I suppose if I have to then I will buy a filter box with its own pump.

algae is caused by the sunlight, not fish food. With no UV and filter the water will turn green after a time.

View media item 1303
This feature has no fish, (so no fish food) it also has no filter or UV but it does have green water

...........Shade as well is good...........

That is true, because it prevents sunlight from "hitting" the water and turning it green

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back