What size pump pliers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I think i've confused myself (not difficult)
I need to change my pump on the heating system.
What size pump pliers do you recommend to undo the nuts either side of the pump?
Thank you, as always for your advice.
Peter
x

Sponsored Links
From what I read, those nuts are usually 52mm across the flats.
"Pump pliers" were originally intended for use on vehicle water pumps... a different animal. Better to use a spanner.

A 12" pair of Channel Lock pump pliers is what I have always used. Never let me down. A spanner would not be my choice.

upload_2021-11-10_6-16-19.jpeg

I use these. Pump pliers at times compress the nut and if the pump is rusty, undoing can be devil of a job

If nut will not shift, I use this tool

upload_2021-11-10_6-32-36.jpeg

Easy peasy, no tears

Sponsored Links
I've used a big Stillson wrench when I changed my pump. A plumber I knew said he used to hacksaw through them if they were tight and fit new nuts - apparently you can just slip new nuts on to the flanges.

I've used a big Stillson wrench when I changed my pump. A plumber I knew said he used to hacksaw through them if they were tight and fit new nuts - apparently you can just slip new nuts on to the flanges.

Not denying all manner of tools undo the nuts if the pump is not rusted etc. Do not need much strength either.
It is usually a pump fitted when Adam was in nappies and said pump is in most awkward position, all manner of tool used are like pi22ing into the wind. There are times had to cut out a section of pipe with pump on it, taking it outside and then lots of swearing and brute force wins the day

I seem to remember my nuts were very tight and I got them moving by giving them a few taps with a hammer and chisel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back