what size RSJ do i need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to exchange a single internal door to a double uPVC door and frame, the single door is 20inches away from the end of the wall, the double door frame will start from the end of the wall and come in 54 inches, the wall is in the centre of the house and is load bearing, what size RSJ would i need? length, width and height, plus what am i expecting to pay for said RSJ. any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You dont need an rsj. A precast concrete lintel will do. It has to sit on 150mm of wall each end so an 1800 one will do. You will have to acrow and strong boy with 2 props, from one side, the bricks above old lintel before remove and replace.

You dont need an rsj. A precast concrete lintel will do. It has to sit on 150mm of wall each end so an 1800 one will do. You will have to acrow and strong boy with 2 props, from one side, the bricks above old lintel before remove and replace.

Wow!

How did you know what loads are above the door in question from the info given?

Yep, i`m suitably chastised.
What I was really trying to say but didn`t is that its not always necc to use the frequently mentioned RSJ.
The existing lintel should be inspected, with reference to load its carrying and if feasable a pre stressed could be used for replacement as they are easier to dress back in.

Sponsored Links
thanks for replys guys, its a 3 storey house and the double door is going to be on ground level, plus the kitchen which this door leads to has already been extended, the whole back wall was taken out, as i said before this door frame will be at the end of the wall which is joined to another wall which is in the centre of the house, i would rather put an RSJ in to be honest, was just wondering what the best length, height and width would be if the door is 54 inchs wide, the wall 7 inchs thick.

To work out the size of the lintel/steel as two other posters have said what it is carrying is critical.. for all we know you have a concrete first floor and the wall in question also supports a roof along with a swiming pool on the second floor..
Your descriptions are pretty poor and vague.. we dont know how big your house is.. only you know that.. what are the floors made from? brick or block walls? age of property? is it a detached or terrace?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back